RotationYaw Confusions / Backstab Creation

Zetal

So I'm trying to make a functional 'backstab' sort of mechanic, but I'm having some difficulties wrapping my head around the values that the rotationYaw for entities produces. I figured that it would be universal based on where the entity is facing, ie I compare the rotationYaw of the attacker and the defender, and if they're the same within + or - 60 degrees or so, the attacker is behind the defender. But for whatever reason even if both the attacker and defender are facing the same way, the values can be wildly different. Granted, I've only tested this on mobs so far, but it seems really weird, regardless. :/ Can anyone help explain this, or a method to standardize the values?

Have a modding question? PM me and hopefully I'll be able to help. Good at 2d Pixel Art? We need your help!  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1806355-looking-for-2d-pixel-artist/

I mean I'll get values ranging from up to 680, down to a minimum of -300 or so. And it depends entirely on when I start the game, or something. Sometimes the values make sense, other times they don't. I actually just tested with two players, so I had complete control over their facings, and both players facing the same way had 600 and -170.

Just...What?

Have a modding question? PM me and hopefully I'll be able to help. Good at 2d Pixel Art? We need your help!  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1806355-looking-for-2d-pixel-artist/

I mean I'll get values ranging from up to 680, down to a minimum of -300 or so. And it depends entirely on when I start the game, or something. Sometimes the values make sense, other times they don't. I actually just tested with two players, so I had complete control over their facings, and both players facing the same way had 600 and -170.

Just...What?

You... I... um... what‽

Perhaps I should look at your code.

BEWARE OF GOD

---

Co-author of Pentachoron Labs' SBFP Tech.