GUI Issue - Buttons rendering behind background .png

Zetal

Despite rendering/adding the buttons after the background image, they still insist on hiding behind it. I'm honestly just not sure why. I'm using

GuiButton guibutton = new GuiButton(6, k + x, l + y, 72, 20, myStringArray[0]);
        guibutton.enabled = true;
        guibutton.displayString = myStringArray[0];
        this.buttonList.add(guibutton);

for buttons and

this.drawTexturedModalRect(k + x, l + y, 0, 198, 72, 58);

for the background images.

Everything is where you would expect it, but the buttons hide behind the textured rectangles for some reason. Rect's are added in the 'background' phase- buttons are added in the 'foreground' phase. Am I missing something obvious? I've exhausted all of my options.

Have a modding question? PM me and hopefully I'll be able to help. Good at 2d Pixel Art? We need your help!  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1806355-looking-for-2d-pixel-artist/

Can you show us the code/method which actually does all the rendering, perhaps even the whole class so we don't have to chase stuff down later on.

If you want an example of a GUI to help you I have three on my guthub (link below, package: mtech.client.gui.*).

Sorry, I don't like having a go at people over messy code but...  :o

cleaned it up a bit and removed a few things I couldn't see uses for. Also fixed where your methods should be to the ones which are already provided, so should work. Button rendering gets handled by GuiScreen in drawScreen() so you don't have to deal with that, unless you override the super.

try this code, also made it so that yo don't have to rework your entire code if you add another class, just add it to the array.

http://pastebin.com/K2p1SnTa

Thank you for your efforts but unfortunately the changes are not entirely applicable. The buttons, even in my messy code, still appear and function. However- the problem is that they are BEHIND the this.drawTexturedModalRect(k + x, l + y, 0, 198, 72, 58); rectangles.

For clarity, the rectangles being created are not for the purpose of button rendering, but are background images that are drawn to the screen out of necessity.

Have a modding question? PM me and hopefully I'll be able to help. Good at 2d Pixel Art? We need your help!  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1806355-looking-for-2d-pixel-artist/

yes, I got that. The re-write was mostly for my benefit when reading it, and to try and be helpful. It "should" fix it,

the problem in your code is

super.drawScreen(par1, par2, par3); // draws buttons
        this.drawGuiContainerBackgroundLayer(par3, par1, par2);//draws background
        this.drawGuiContainerForegroundLayer(par1, par2); // is empty

also there were a few things which could cause problems in your mod, such as how you were adding your buttons (doing this every tick could possible sabotage people (like me) who are running on old/low end PCs, each time you declare a variable in java it has to be given some memory space, doing this every tick slows it down (marginally). If you make it once and save it as local (such as in buttonList) this does not have to be re done every time therefore slightly faster and better coding practice)

also you were giving some of them the same ID

I initially had the buttons created in the foreground method, but when that didn't work I checked out the code for other GUI's. Many of them had the buttons added in the 'updateScreen' method, so I tried putting it in that method instead. No matter what method I put it in, and no matter what order the buttons are rendered, the background image still appears on top of the buttons. I understand where you're coming from because in theory it seems like it should be working (so we seek out some minor unrelated issues) but regardless of those changes, it still does not render correctly.

Thank you for your attempt regardless.

huh... that's odd.

Here's my only GUI with buttons & a background, have a look through it if you want as it definitely works https://github.com/Yagoki/MTech/blob/master/MTech/mtech/client/gui/GuiAlter.java

important method for this stuff is just the drawScreen method, It's for MC 1.6, but nothing has really changed since 1.5 in this, other than how you bind textures. Also there is a lot of stuff you don't need in this (all the GL11 is because this is fancy :) )

Also try looking through vanilla classes to see what they do. The only one which springs to mind is the achievements gui, (which the above is a cleaned up ripoff of), but there may be others that you can think of.

P.S. sorry if I was a bit offensive/rude in my earlier posts, a touch grumpy after having to update all my classes + real life stuff.

I actually just figured it out thanks to you! I didn't catch it the first time

super.drawScreen(par1, par2, par3); // draws buttons
        this.drawGuiContainerBackgroundLayer(par3, par1, par2);//draws background
        this.drawGuiContainerForegroundLayer(par1, par2); // is empty

But in this segment, I only just caught on that the 'draws buttons' comment you added was to suggest that the super.drawScreen(par1, par2, par3); should go AFTER my call to draw the background. *facepalm* Anyway, I moved that down without really thinking about it, and that worked. I only afterwards caught on that that was what you were trying to tell me.  ;D