[1.16.5] Adding custom ITag collections

The_Wabbit

Forge adds two new ITag (tag) collections to the base set provided by Minecraft: enchantments and potions. There seems to be all the bits necessary to add additional collections. My questions are:

• Is this something that's ok to do in general? (ya it's modding and I can do whatever but I'm just askin'...)
  • How would I get the registry recognized by Forge (i.e. do I mimic what is being done in GameData for Forge's own custom registries...using tagFolder to specify the new datapack location). Note that I know how to get at the registry using Forge, but I need Forge to know it's there...

Background: What are you doing exactly?

I'd like to add an effects collection as many many Effects do not have brewable potions and I'd like a way to get at those in a data-driven way (rather than hard-coding for each mod)...for example to have a collection of effects like 'poisons', 'thirst', 'blindness', etc. Also looking into damage sources and armor materials...

Code reference: net.minecraftforge.registries.GameData (see the creation of enchantments and potions items)

Edited by The_Wabbit
Bump