Get the name of the player that is running the mod?

googoo1876

So basically the player that is activating a certain function? Ok, easy.

playerInstance.username;

Simple as that xD

Simple questions have simple answers, and I honestly don't feel like raging at you for not looking hard enough...

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

I want you to think about this for a second. If I am running a mod, and you join my lan world, do you have that mod I am running? And if it is on a server, there isn't going to be one person running the mod is there.

So basically what you want is an instance of EntityPlayer. Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer will do for now. (Though it will not work as a server mod if you use that). To get the player who is using the mod or, say is right clicking with an item from the mod (aka, a function) you would type Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.username and that would be the players username?

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Yeah I'm definitely not making myself clear enough. I should start from the beginning, what I need to do is clean up for my mod when a person leaves the server. This clean up only should occur on the player who just left. How I originally thought to do this was to make a class implementing IPlayerTracker and add my code to onPlayerDisconnect. Now, in the beggining I didn't know this, but that method is called everywhere(all clients), whenever someone leaves. and you are given a instance of EntityPlayer. What I want to do is check if you are that player, and if you are clean up, elsewise, don't do anything. Does that make my goal anymore clear?

Edit: Okay sorry Mew, you posted Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer which works for SP, but this is a radio's mod, and its primary use is for servers... =/

Yes, yes it does xD

Lets say you have all the data for a player stored within their own folder player named folder inside the worldFolder/players folder. Then ON THE SERVER use the same stuff you were doing before. You will also need a file that represents the folder/data within the folder. But before you do that call, you would need to have an if statement.

something like:

if (file.exists()) {
    // do cleanup
}

This may or may not be your idea, but this is what I took from it, use the player.dat located in a single player world to get his/her name? That does seem reliable, for he may not have a single player world, multiple accounts on the same computer etc, but now I must sleep. Good night.

Not what I meant. This is just one bunch of miscommunications...

What I should probably ask first is, what is it that you are trying to "clear"?

Have you thought of creating a implementing IPlayerTracker... and using the onPlayerLogout event???

public class YourPlayerTracker implements IPlayerTracker{
    @Override
    public void onPlayerLogout(EntityPlayer player) {
        //Do Cleanup
    }
//...other meaningless code...
}

EDIT Just saw your other post... perhaps your problem is...

@Override
        String playerName = player.getEntityName();
        //Do Cleanup with respect to the leaving players name
    }

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

@BigDaveNz Yeah, I am/was using a IPlayerTracker, what I need to do is check if that EntityPlayer is you. Unfortunately, I know how to get that entity's name, and thats not particularly what I need.

@Mew I'm really sorry, I'm trying my best to make this understandable, what I need to clear, I need to end a few threads running, that are specific to the world the player is playing in. Look at the code below me, I just need to find how to get thisPlayer.

@Override
	if(side==Side.CLIENT&&player.equals(thisPlayer)){
		//cleanup
	}
    }

@BigDaveNz Yeah, I am/was using a IPlayerTracker, what I need to do is check if that EntityPlayer is you. Unfortunately, I know how to get that entity's name, and thats not particularly what I need.

@Mew I'm really sorry, I'm trying my best to make this understandable, what I need to clear, I need to end a few threads running, that are specific to the world the player is playing in. Look at the code below me, I just need to find how to get thisPlayer.

@Override
	if(side==Side.CLIENT&&player.equals(thisPlayer)){
		//cleanup
	}
    }

Now it makes sense. So I am assuming that the threads are run BY the player? If so, then take make an instance of entity player that equals null say inside your main class. Then, when the thread is activated by that player, MainModClass.playerInstance = playerInstanceThatActivatedThread;

Does that make sense? Then using that code above:

MainMod:

EntityPlayer threadPlayer = null;

Wherever thread is activated:

// Thread is activated blah blah blah...
MainMod.threadPlayer = player;

IPlayerTracker:

@Override
    if(side==Side.CLIENT && player.equals(MainMod.threadPlayer)){
        //cleanup
    }
}

I hope this doesn't get miscommunicated xD

The question is if the Threads are ran by the server or the client.

If it's the client, use an IConnectionHandler to detect when the client closes it's connection to the server.

If it's the server you need to store the threads in a Multimap (or similar?) so that you can remember which player owns which threads.

Then when a player logs out, get the Threads he "owns" and finish them off.

I am glad you know what your doing with this. I completely forgot about server/client in this :/

@diesieben07  I did that before I used an IPlayerTracker, but it seems to face the same issue, I will double check, but I don't think it will help.

@Mew I feel stupid now, that was an idea, and I thought if there was no thread made that wouldn't work. Now I realize if theres no thread made, there's no thread to clean up. xP I'll try Mews method, I'll report back whether it works or not.

@Mew Okay, here's a problem, you don't know your own name when you start a thread, the thread is started by a packet the server beams at you. The only place you could get a name is onblockactivate.

@diesieben07 NOt sure what you are trying to get at, but the threads are client sided(for playing sound).