[1.16.4] Adding a Listener to net.minecraft.advancements.criterion.ItemDurabilityTrigger

izofar

My intent is to hijack the event when a piece of armor's durability reaches zero, and replace the item with another once this occurs. Currently I've read there is no Forge hook for this, and that I should add a listener to the ItemDurabilityTrigger. Source:

I, however, have no clue how to do this. I've found ItemDurabilityTrigger#changedDurability, which is what I want to intercept.

I've tried to look at how this method is used, and I found net.minecraft.data.advancements.NetherAdvancements, which checks if warped fungus on a stick was used. I don't believe this is the condition in which I would wish to use it, though.

While I understand and have been using events and listeners, is Draco18s instruction/advice a Java concept I am too noob to know, or are there Forge-specific  libraries and techniques that I must use to register listeners/events and all of that?

10 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Is this your armor item or just any armor item?

This is my modded armor. Instantiated: Item moddedHelmet = new ArmorItem( ...);

If I'm correct, are you about to suggest I make my own armor class that inherits from ArmorItem (or something) and override some itemDamaged method? Because now that makes sense

Despite this, I do intend to do this for other armor items as well in the future

Edited by izofar

Excellent, thanks. If I wanted, for example, gold armor to drop ingots upon breaking, how would I achieve this for vanilla armor? Would I have to duplicate the gold armor item instantiations (except inherited from the custom class) and register them under the minecraft:golden_*slot* resource? Or is writing a hook for the trigger a more desirable solution?

In addition, where is this damage item method? I can't find it in the type hierarchy. I thought this would be a member of the item stack, not the item class.

Edited by izofar

Is there a way to access the player owning the inventory an item stack is in? If any? Or to change the item in an itemstack?

Two ways I've looked at this is to do onArmorTick(PlayerEntity player) to store the player but I don't think this would work for multiplayer (since there is only one modded armor class instantiated?). The other means I'm trying is to set the entity representation of the item stack obtained from setDamage to the entity representation of a newly instantiated itemstack of the desired replacement material. I am not optimistic about either approach.

Edited by izofar

I have a  ModdedArmorItem extends ArmorItem class which overrides setDamage(ItemStack stack, int damage), in which i want to check if the durability is zero, then replace the item stack with another item. Functionally, I want armor to leave an item when it breaks (to simplify, break into another armor item that resides in the same slot).

Ah, I see. Is the <T extends LivingEntity> the player, in this case?

In addition, I'm not familiar with the <> Notation as used in `public <T extends LivingEntity> int damageItem(...)`. Does this just place restriction on T? How does one use the Consumer<T> input?

I'm looking at ItemStack#hurtAndBreak for direction on how to use the inputs. But, I've found that breaking an item occurs outside of the damageItem call. which means that giving the player the replacement item inside of damageItem will happen before the original is broken and removed.

Edited by izofar

6 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

generics in this case

I'm familiar with generics, just not its use in function definitions. I appreciate your patience.

6 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

How does one use the Consumer<T> input?

I at first failed to notice that this is a Java-specific concept not attributable to Forge. I apologize for the Java questions. Thank you for your help.