Connection closed - mismatched mod channel type list

mr_coffee1026

Only forge is installed - NO MODS - server side nor client.

Server log of failed connection:
[11:24:12] [Server thread/INFO]: com.mojang.authlib.GameProfile@4058d33[id=<null>,name=mr_coffee1026,properties={},legacy=false] (/127.0.0.1:4766) lost connection: Disconnected

No logs after this entry, server remains running, no crashing or anything.

Client side log:
[11:24:12] [Render thread/INFO]: Connecting to localhost, 25565
[11:24:12] [Netty Client IO #6/ERROR]: Channels [forge:tier_sorting] rejected their server side version number
[11:24:12] [Netty Client IO #6/ERROR]: Terminating connection with server, mismatched mod list

No entries after this.  Can connect to other servers without this issue.

Server version: 1.18 (paper-60)
Forge version: 38.0.16

Found similar posts but those seemed to get much further than I did since they were able to remove mods and have things work.  I can't connect with Forge.  If I remove forge everything is fine... but the whole point is to run a couple mods and for that I need forge so need to get past this error with forge before loading mods.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Then use Forge...?

Post the debug.log from server and client.

I AM using Forge?  That's why I'm in the Forge forum posting about a forge problem?

There is no "debug.log" on the server.  I have no idea what would generate this but I imagine whatever you expect to generate this on the server doesn't exist (I don't run mods on the server).
Client debug.log: https://pastebin.com/z8kFVzkc

Yeah that's all that's in the debug.log on client and the server log during connections this is all that happens on the server:

[10:32:05] [Server thread/INFO]: com.mojang.authlib.GameProfile@4ba77252[id=<null>,name=mr_coffee1026,properties={},legacy=false] (/127.0.0.1:10631) lost connection: Disconnected

Actually no?  I just connected to my 1.16.5 server with Forge and my 2 mods active.  Looking at my debug.log for that: I also see no connection having taken place: https://pastebin.com/58sNmdQN

The full latest.log when attempting to connect to my 1.18 (local) server: https://pastebin.com/V7WtQNUT
The relevant (and only unchanging portion on connection attempts):

[12:44:36] [Render thread/INFO]: Connecting to localhost, 25565
[12:44:36] [Netty Client IO #3/ERROR]: Channels [forge:tier_sorting] rejected their server side version number
[12:44:36] [Netty Client IO #3/ERROR]: Terminating connection with server, mismatched mod list

That's all that's in my debug.log but at least you're seeing something that makes sense to you (all my logs are the same I may have given you an earlier iteration or something that may account for the 7 minutes).

[12:44:36] [Server thread/INFO]: com.mojang.authlib.GameProfile@7154551e[id=<null>,name=mr_coffee1026,properties={},legacy=false] (/127.0.0.1:10206) lost connection: Disconnected

Here's a recent server latest.log entry with the same time.  No it isn't a "complete" latest but the other log entries aren't related to my attempted connection, that's all I get from the server end.  Anyway, if you've found the bug, GREAT, then I'll just keep an eye out for updates and try the next one.