[1.16.5] How to draw a texture

Ctwx

Hello,

I am trying to render an icon on the screen. I've read https://forums.minecraftforge.net/topic/107635-1165-mcp-render-overlay-errorbackground-black/ and thought this should be easily appliable to my code, but I only get a black square. Furthermore, I've read https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding-java-edition/minecraft-mods/modification-development/1437340-drawing-texture-with-drawtexturedmodalrect-is-too where they say the icon has to be 256x256, so I increased the size of the icon from 16x16 to 256x256.

My code is:

private static final ResourceLocation SS_ICON = new ResourceLocation("sereneseasons", "sereneseasons/textures/item/ss_icon.png");

@SubscribeEvent
public void onRenderGameOverlayEventPost(RenderGameOverlayEvent.Post event) {
    if (event.getType() == RenderGameOverlayEvent.ElementType.ALL) {
        TextureManager textureManager = Minecraft.getInstance().getTextureManager();
        textureManager.bind(SS_ICON);
        GuiUtils.drawTexturedModalRect(event.getMatrixStack(), 50, 50, 0, 0, 8, 8, 0);
    }
}

This is the icon gXFgH89.png This icon is from another mod, sereneseasons and it is inside its assets/sereneseasons/textures/item folder.

What am I missing here? And can someone explain the 4. and 5. parameter that are 0 in my code above?

Edited by Ctwx

34 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

You should use AbstractGui.blit instead of drawTexturedModalRect. I recommend Parchment so that you get proper parameter names.

Thank you. I'll check Parchment out.

What does blit do? Without Parchment I see a bunch of different Parameters but all of them just use int and float. Perhaps that will be more clear when I use Parchment.

Edited by Ctwx

Okay, Parchment works, and blit also. But still, it is black on the screen:

private static final ResourceLocation SS_ICON = new ResourceLocation("sereneseasons", "sereneseasons/textures/item/ss_icon.png");

@SubscribeEvent
public void onRenderGameOverlayEventPost(RenderGameOverlayEvent.Post pEvent) {
    if (pEvent.getType() == RenderGameOverlayEvent.ElementType.ALL) {
        Minecraft.getInstance().getTextureManager().bind(SS_ICON);
        AbstractGui.blit(pEvent.getMatrixStack(), 50, 50, 0f, 0f, 8, 8, 16, 16);
    }
}

The icon is black in game (when I make it bigger, it is this black/magenta squared texture):

qym7zsQ.png

I also tried it with a different ResourceLocation which works fine: new ResourceLocation("textures/gui/book.png");

I am not sure why it is not able to locate the resource. I also tried to copy it in my src/resources/assets folder, but that does not seem to work either. Do I have to register the resources first?

Edited by Ctwx

36 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

From that screenshot I can tell you have not correctly added Parchment. Did you reimport the project after adding it?

My bad. I checked the additional FAQ, prefixing my parameters with "p" fixed Parchment, but not the icon issue in my answer above. :) Thanks

Edited by Ctwx

Okay, I fixed it. Thank you very much for the recommendations for Parchment and blit.

The issue that I still had was this:

// I had this:
new ResourceLocation("sereneseasons", "sereneseasons/textures/item/ss_icon.png");
// but I needed this:
new ResourceLocation("sereneseasons", "textures/item/ss_icon.png");

I checked the sereneseasons.jar and the textures where in assets/sereneseasons, so I thought I needed the extra folder name above. Now it works.