Synchronising Tile Entities - how *should* I do it?

nado

There was an old thread on this but I feel starting a new one is appropriate. I would love it if someone knowledgeable would clear up some of my queries.

If on a server, should the client-side tile-entity do anything or just wait for updates from the server-side tile-entity? For example say the block smelted stuff; should the client-side AND server-side tile-entities smelt? Or should the client-side tile-entity just get told whats up from the server?

My tile-entities work in a crude way in SMP, but I really want to know how its supposed to be done. If anyone is up for making a tutorial I wouldn't mind at all.

There was an old thread on this but I feel starting a new one is appropriate. I would love it if someone knowledgeable would clear up some of my queries.

If on a server, should the client-side tile-entity do anything or just wait for updates from the server-side tile-entity? For example say the block smelted stuff; should the client-side AND server-side tile-entities smelt? Or should the client-side tile-entity just get told whats up from the server?

My tile-entities work in a crude way in SMP, but I really want to know how its supposed to be done. If anyone is up for making a tutorial I wouldn't mind at all.

Use packets to send data between server and client

Use packets to send data between server and client

Maybe I should have been more specific. I understand this much, I just don't know if the client should be "smelting" on the client side as well as the server-side type of thing..

Have it emulate enough of its state to keep the player informed, do not send over anything not needed.

I'm actually even lazier than that. I made it so the client doesn't do ANYTHING at all except display correct GUI information. That should also reduce all client lag issues. With 1.3 coming up, I'm planning to make the client side do nothing at all except be a "display" while server sides does all the work. Hopefully this will reduce lag. :D

Have it emulate enough of its state to keep the player informed, do not send over anything not needed.

I'm actually even lazier than that. I made it so the client doesn't do ANYTHING at all except display correct GUI information. That should also reduce all client lag issues. With 1.3 coming up, I'm planning to make the client side do nothing at all except be a "display" while server sides does all the work. Hopefully this will reduce lag. :D

Thanks for this post, exactly what I needed to know.

If you can be bothered Calclavia, you could make a wiki explanation? I'd like to compare my way of doing it to make sure its suitable.

Otherwise, cheers for the help :D

Haha, thats cool. Thanks again!