PlayerInteractEvent issue

Sikhstar97

I have a custom bucket and in the Item*** for the custom bucket, I have code set that allows the bucket to become full when I right click water or lava.

However, we I try to do it for air, I obvisouly have to instead use the PlayerInteractEvent in my EventHandler like this:

public void playerInteract(PlayerInteractEvent event)
{
	EntityPlayer player = event.entityPlayer;
	if(player.inventory.getCurrentItem() != null && player.inventory.getCurrentItem().itemID == Base.customBucketEmpty.itemID)
	{
		if(event.action.equals(Action.RIGHT_CLICK_AIR))
		{
			player.inventory.addItemStackToInventory(new ItemStack(Base.customBucketAir, 1));
			if(player.capabilities.isCreativeMode == false)
			{
				--player.inventory.getCurrentItem().stackSize;
			}
		}
	}

However, this means that when I right click block, the water block disappears, but the air bucket returns instead of water. How can I fix this?

Hi

So how does your custom bucket differ from a normal bucket?  So far it sounds exactly like a normal bucket.  If so, why aren't the two existing ItemBucket methods suitable?

-TGG

Ok so I took this on board and ditches the handler and used the method within the ItemBucket class (obviosuly in my custom class) I took the following the code and tweaked like so

if (par2World.getBlockMaterial(i, j, k) == Material.air && par2World.getBlockMetadata(i, j, k) == 0)
                    {
                        //par2World.setBlockToAir(i, j, k);

if (par3EntityPlayer.capabilities.isCreativeMode)
                        {
                            return par1ItemStack;
                        }

if (--par1ItemStack.stackSize <= 0)
                        {
                            return new ItemStack(Base.customTankAir);
                        }

if (!par3EntityPlayer.inventory.addItemStackToInventory(new ItemStack(Base.customTankAir)))
                        {
                            par3EntityPlayer.dropPlayerItem(new ItemStack(Base.customTankAir.itemID, 1, 0));
                        }

return par1ItemStack;
                    }

I replaced Material.air with water and then lava, and the returned item to something else.

With water and lava, it works fine.

HOWEVER, when I right click mid-air, nothing happens. It's probably because this material has isSolid set to false. Anyway around this?

Hi

So when you right-click in mid air with an empty bucket, you want the bucket to stay empty, and in addition a second custom item ("compressed air" or "captured butterfly" or similar) to appear in the player's inventory?

-TGG

Well the stack of empty buckets will decrease by 1. But I'm not bothered about that because I know how to do it,

What happens is that when I right click mid-air, all is fine, but when I right-click water, it's like the game runs the method when right-clicking water AND air (because you're right-clicking water "through" air in a sense). I just need help working around this.

Hi

The reason this is happening is because of the way the code tells whether you've clicked on a block or not.

In Minecraft.clickMouse(1) is where it's all happening:

if (this.objectMouseOver == null)
            {
                if (button == 0 && this.playerController.isNotCreative())
                {
                    this.leftClickCounter = 10;
                }
            }
            else if (this.objectMouseOver.typeOfHit == EnumMovingObjectType.ENTITY)
            {
//snip
            }
            else if (this.objectMouseOver.typeOfHit == EnumMovingObjectType.TILE)
            {
                int j = this.objectMouseOver.blockX;
                int k = this.objectMouseOver.blockY;
                int l = this.objectMouseOver.blockZ;
                int i1 = this.objectMouseOver.sideHit;

if (button == 0)
                {
                    this.playerController.clickBlock(j, k, l, this.objectMouseOver.sideHit);
                }
                else
                {
                    int j1 = itemstack != null ? itemstack.stackSize : 0;

boolean result = !ForgeEventFactory.onPlayerInteract(thePlayer, Action.RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK, j, k, l, i1).isCanceled();
                    if (result && this.playerController.onPlayerRightClick(this.thePlayer, this.theWorld, itemstack, j, k, l, i1, this.objectMouseOver.hitVec))
                    {
                        rightClickNoEffect = false;
                        this.thePlayer.swingItem();
                    }

//snip

}
            }

if (rightClickNoEffect && button == 1)
            {
                ItemStack itemstack1 = this.thePlayer.inventory.getCurrentItem();

boolean result = !ForgeEventFactory.onPlayerInteract(thePlayer, Action.RIGHT_CLICK_AIR, 0, 0, 0, -1).isCanceled();
                if (result && itemstack1 != null && this.playerController.sendUseItem(this.thePlayer, this.theWorld, itemstack1))
                {
                    this.entityRenderer.itemRenderer.resetEquippedProgress2();
                }
            }

.objectMouseOver contains the first object that your line of sight intersects within a certain distance (6 blocks from memory).  It contains the location and the type:

NULL = hit nothing (or fluids)

TILE = hit a block

ENTITY = hit an entity

I think the problem is that this .objectMouseOver ignores liquids.  So if you right-click when pointing at a liquid, it falls through to the RIGHT_CLICK_AIR, then keeps going to .sendUseItem which makes its way to your onItemRightClick method as well.

You could fix this by putting your onItemRightClick code into the RIGHT_CLICK_AIR handler.

The first statement in this code performs the line-of-sight ray tracing again, but with the "collide with liquids" flag set to true, so it will stop when it hits a liquid rather than keeping on going.

MovingObjectPosition movingobjectposition = this.getMovingObjectPositionFromPlayer(par2World, par3EntityPlayer, true);

if (movingobjectposition == null) // didn't hit any blocks or liquid
        {

}

You also need to handle the case where your line of sight passes through a liquid then hits a block, because in .clickMouse it will get EnumMovingObjectType.TILE.

Perhaps the easiest way is to use the RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK handler the same as your RIGHT_CLICK_AIR, i.e. perform the ray-trace again and verify that the block you hit is a fluid.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this myself.  However it looks like it should work.

-TGG

Hi

The reason this is happening is because of the way the code tells whether you've clicked on a block or not.

In Minecraft.clickMouse(1) is where it's all happening:

if (this.objectMouseOver == null)
            {
                if (button == 0 && this.playerController.isNotCreative())
                {
                    this.leftClickCounter = 10;
                }
            }
            else if (this.objectMouseOver.typeOfHit == EnumMovingObjectType.ENTITY)
            {
//snip
            }
            else if (this.objectMouseOver.typeOfHit == EnumMovingObjectType.TILE)
            {
                int j = this.objectMouseOver.blockX;
                int k = this.objectMouseOver.blockY;
                int l = this.objectMouseOver.blockZ;
                int i1 = this.objectMouseOver.sideHit;

if (button == 0)
                {
                    this.playerController.clickBlock(j, k, l, this.objectMouseOver.sideHit);
                }
                else
                {
                    int j1 = itemstack != null ? itemstack.stackSize : 0;

boolean result = !ForgeEventFactory.onPlayerInteract(thePlayer, Action.RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK, j, k, l, i1).isCanceled();
                    if (result && this.playerController.onPlayerRightClick(this.thePlayer, this.theWorld, itemstack, j, k, l, i1, this.objectMouseOver.hitVec))
                    {
                        rightClickNoEffect = false;
                        this.thePlayer.swingItem();
                    }

//snip

}
            }

if (rightClickNoEffect && button == 1)
            {
                ItemStack itemstack1 = this.thePlayer.inventory.getCurrentItem();

boolean result = !ForgeEventFactory.onPlayerInteract(thePlayer, Action.RIGHT_CLICK_AIR, 0, 0, 0, -1).isCanceled();
                if (result && itemstack1 != null && this.playerController.sendUseItem(this.thePlayer, this.theWorld, itemstack1))
                {
                    this.entityRenderer.itemRenderer.resetEquippedProgress2();
                }
            }

.objectMouseOver contains the first object that your line of sight intersects within a certain distance (6 blocks from memory).  It contains the location and the type:

NULL = hit nothing (or fluids)

TILE = hit a block

ENTITY = hit an entity

I think the problem is that this .objectMouseOver ignores liquids.  So if you right-click when pointing at a liquid, it falls through to the RIGHT_CLICK_AIR, then keeps going to .sendUseItem which makes its way to your onItemRightClick method as well.

You could fix this by putting your onItemRightClick code into the RIGHT_CLICK_AIR handler.

The first statement in this code performs the line-of-sight ray tracing again, but with the "collide with liquids" flag set to true, so it will stop when it hits a liquid rather than keeping on going.

MovingObjectPosition movingobjectposition = this.getMovingObjectPositionFromPlayer(par2World, par3EntityPlayer, true);

if (movingobjectposition == null) // didn't hit any blocks or liquid
        {

}

You also need to handle the case where your line of sight passes through a liquid then hits a block, because in .clickMouse it will get EnumMovingObjectType.TILE.

Perhaps the easiest way is to use the RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK handler the same as your RIGHT_CLICK_AIR, i.e. perform the ray-trace again and verify that the block you hit is a fluid.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this myself.  However it looks like it should work.

-TGG

This looks both complex but also very useful. Someone else helped with a different method, so I'll try both, decide which is the best and then get back to both you and the other helper about which i think works best (so you could use the best method, in my opinion, if you ever need to use it).

So I've decided to ditch the "fluid" tanks (they had no use in my mod). So when I right click mid air with an empty tank, an air tank should return (just 1). However, another problem has risen. This topic can be locked now but the following link takes you to my next issue. If you wouldn't mind checking it out, I would be very grateful and thank you 1 gigabyte times.

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,13075.msg67737.html