Making a block orient towards the play on block place

DJFergy

i've been trying to get this to work for a long while but I still don't know what to do. i'm aware that there are lots of tutorials about this but i also want the block to face the player on the y axis as well. i feel im really close to getting it but i guess i'm further away than i think i am.

public void onBlockPlacedBy(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase entity, ItemStack itemstack) {
       int rotation = MathHelper.floor_double((double)(entity.rotationYaw * 4F / 360F) * (double)(entity.rotationPitch * 1F / 180F)) & 3;
       world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, rotation, 2);

That is a good way to store the rotation. You now have the rotation stored in the metadata. But that alone doesn't do anything. You need to return different block face icons for different rotations. In your block, override public Icon getIcon(int side, int meta). As you see, you get exactly the parameters you need to achieve this.

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.

Hi

This link will give the basic idea

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,13626.0.html

You just need to extend the if block to include top and bottom as well.

How to convert your yaw and pitch to a face?  There are a couple of ways - if you want it to face based on where the player is looking only, then using the yaw and pitch will be fine.

I'd suggest:

(1) if pitch is more than 45 degrees above horizontal, you're looking at the top face

(2) if pitch is more than 45 degrees below horizontal, you're looking at the bottom face

(3) if the pitch is within 45 degrees of the horizontal, then the yaw tells you which of the four side faces you're looking at.

You might also consider just using the PistonBase.determineOrientation method, if the vanilla method for placing a piston is good enough for what you want.

-TGG

That is a good way to store the rotation. You now have the rotation stored in the metadata. But that alone doesn't do anything. You need to return different block face icons for different rotations. In your block, override public Icon getIcon(int side, int meta). As you see, you get exactly the parameters you need to achieve this.

i dont think i posted enough of the code. hehe here is the full file. also as of right now the block  faces whereever it damn well pleases. If i mess with a few of the paramaters in the last block of code then it changes on me again.

package fergy.apocolypse.block;

import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;
import fergy.apocolypse.common.apocolypse;
import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IconRegister;
import net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.util.Icon;
import net.minecraft.util.MathHelper;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class BlockPurifier extends Block {
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
private Icon grateTexture;
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
private Icon sideTexture;	
public BlockPurifier(int par1, Material par2Material) {
	super(par1, Material.iron);
	this.setCreativeTab(apocolypse.TabApocolypse);
}
public void registerIcons(IconRegister iconRegister) {
	grateTexture = iconRegister.registerIcon("apocolypse:purifiergrate");		
	sideTexture = iconRegister.registerIcon("apocolypse:purifiersides");
}
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public Icon getIcon(int side, int meta) {
	if (side != meta ) {
		return this.sideTexture;
	} 
	return this.grateTexture;
}
@Override
public void onBlockAdded(World world, int x, int y, int z) {
	super.onBlockAdded(world, x, y, z);
	setDefaultDirection(world, x, y, z);
}
private void setDefaultDirection(World world, int x, int y, int z){
	if(!world.isRemote) {
		int zNeg = world.getBlockId(x, y, z - 1);
		int zPos = world.getBlockId(x, y, z + 1);
		int xNeg = world.getBlockId(x - 1, y, z);
		int xPos = world.getBlockId(x + 1, y, z);
		int yNeg = world.getBlockId(x, y - 1, z);
		int yPos = world.getBlockId(x, y + 1, z);
		byte meta = 3;

if(Block.opaqueCubeLookup[xNeg] && !Block.opaqueCubeLookup[xPos]) {
			meta = 5;
		}
		if(Block.opaqueCubeLookup[xPos] && !Block.opaqueCubeLookup[xNeg]) {
			meta = 4;
		}
		if(Block.opaqueCubeLookup[zNeg] && !Block.opaqueCubeLookup[zPos]) {
			meta = 3;
		}
		if(Block.opaqueCubeLookup[zPos] && !Block.opaqueCubeLookup[zNeg]) {
			meta = 2;
		}
		if(Block.opaqueCubeLookup[yNeg] && !Block.opaqueCubeLookup[yPos]) {
			meta = 0;
		}
		if(Block.opaqueCubeLookup[yPos] && !Block.opaqueCubeLookup[yNeg]) {
			meta = 1;
		}
	world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, meta, 2);
	}
}
@Override
public void onBlockPlacedBy(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase entity, ItemStack itemstack) {
	int rotation = MathHelper.floor_double((double)(entity.rotationYaw * 4F / 360F) * (double)(entity.rotationPitch * 1F / 180F)) & 3;
	world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, rotation, 2);
}
}

Hi

This link will give the basic idea

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,13626.0.html

You just need to extend the if block to include top and bottom as well.

How to convert your yaw and pitch to a face?  There are a couple of ways - if you want it to face based on where the player is looking only, then using the yaw and pitch will be fine.

I'd suggest:

(1) if pitch is more than 45 degrees above horizontal, you're looking at the top face

(2) if pitch is more than 45 degrees below horizontal, you're looking at the bottom face

(3) if the pitch is within 45 degrees of the horizontal, then the yaw tells you which of the four side faces you're looking at.

You might also consider just using the PistonBase.determineOrientation method, if the vanilla method for placing a piston is good enough for what you want.

-TGG

How does minecraft control pitch? Does looking down start at 0? then straight ahead 90 degrees?

Hi

I think there are a couple of concepts in here that might help you

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/rendering-standard-blocks-cubes.html

So based on your current getIcon code, you need to set your metadata to match the side that the grill is on.

i.e. 0 for bottom, 1 for top, 5 for east, etc.

This line

will give you something completely different.  I'd suggest you change it to match the algorithm in my earlier post.

To be honest I don't know offhand what the 0 pitch value is, but it should be easy enough for you to figure it out :-)

-TGG