Research system in the normal crafting table

shadowmage4513

Hi all,

I'm trying to streamline the crafting process in my mod a bit.  I use a research system to prevent certain items from being crafted until players have done the requisite research.  Currently any recipe requiring research must be crafted at a special crafting table -- not because I want it this way, but because I could not find a way to deny crafting of normal crafting-bench recipes based on the player crafting the item.

My question is this:  Is anyone aware of a method to change the crafting outcome from a recipe dynamically dependent upon the player doing the crafting, at a normal crafting bench?

My first thought would be a creating a subclass of ShapedRecipes, and return 'false' from matches() for players that have not done the requisite research...but I cannot find a way to get a reference from the crafting player from InventoryCrafting.  I might be able to pull 'some players' from the containers crafters list from InventoryCrafting (would need some reflection at least to get at some private fields), but I cannot see a way to guarantee that any of these 'players' are in-fact THE crafting player.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Shadowmage

I have an idea that might work...

Why not just save a file containing a list of Usernames and unlocked researches?

Then use a custom crafting handler to check the player has unlocked the recipe. If they have, it gives the crafting result. If not, it returns null as if its an invalid recipe.

Closer examination of ICraftingHandler shows that while it does give a player reference, it does not allow one to change or nullify the crafting result.  It is more of an informative callback than a crafting-event mechanism.

I will continue looking around a bit...thanks for the info anyway -- I might be able to use this elsewhere..but it does not solve the current problem =\

Ah. Any reason why you dont want to just use your own block to craft?

EDIT:

Forge has a event for when players open a container. So you might be able to intercept the opening of the workbench container and make it open your own container.

@ForgeSubscribe(priority = EventPriority.NORMAL)
public void PlayerOpenContainerEvent(EntityPlayer player, Container openContainer)
    {
        super(player);
        if (openContainer instanceof ContainerWorkbench)
        this.canInteractWith = false;
        else
        this.canInteractWith = openContainer.canInteractWith(player);
        //Open your container here
}

Hi

I reckon CJ's suggestion for looks promising, perhaps in conjunction with GuiOpenEvent to change the Gui and/or container to your own.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this before and the last time I tried to decipher the container handling + GUI code it got pretty cryptic so it might be challenging.

Alternatively, your idea about the container's crafters list sounds like it could also be a solution - perhaps the presence of at least one trained mage allows others to craft too - i.e. does it matter which player looking at the crafting table does the actual click & drag to "complete" the crafting?

-TGG

Im pretty sure you dont need the gui event. Setting canInteractWith to false will prevent the original from opening. The custom workbench container is a copy-paste job. Just replace references to CraftingManager to a custom version of it. Im sure there is also a way to interface all the original recipes too. Maybe a reference of CraftingManager within the custom CraftingManager...

Hope this makes sense.

EDIT:

Feeling nice. This CraftingManager should work. It is untested but definitely a step in the right direction.

http://pastebin.com/2ZEdgR4v