[SOLVED] addChatMessage() doesn't recognize argument as IChatComponent

JoelJansenD

Good evening lads and lasses,

I am having a little problem while trying to display a chat message with an item. I want to do this through the addChatMessage() method, however it thinks my given argument is a String and not an IChatComponent. I have tried looking through the source however it didn't help me. Browsing the web and the Forge forum haven't given me an answer either.

@Override
public boolean func_111207_a(ItemStack itemstack, EntityPlayer player, EntityLivingBase target){
if(!target.worldObj.isRemote){
	player.addChatMessage("Test");
}
return false;
}

This is what the troubling part of the code looks like. I have done exactly the same thing as some examples on the internet, that all worked perfectly fine according to the original programmer. Even directly copied a bit once, however it didn't work...

Summary

the method addChatMessage thinks the given argument is a String instead of IChatComponent

Thanks for the quick responses! :)

Of course it "thinks" it is a String, because it IS a String.

Pass an instance of IChatComponent. You probably want ChatComponentText. The tutorials you are looking at are for older minecraft versions.

Haha, I had figured it's a String which led to my confusion. I'll look into ChatComponentText. Thank you.

Here's how I handle incoming chat. Maybe it'll help you a little.

String formatted = event.message.getUnformattedText().replaceAll("§(.)", "§$1§l");
event.message = new ChatComponentText(formatted);

event.message is an IChatComponent.

I'll look into this one as well if diesieben07's solution doesn't work. Thank you.

EDIT: diesieben07's solution was perfect, thank you :D