Forge loads but mod does not

ForgeAhead

I have tried loading Buildcraft 6.0.17 for MC 1.7.10 using Forge 10.13.0.1180, also using 10.13.0.1186.  In both cases the three Forge components load successfully, but Buildcraft does not.  There are no error logs (as far as I know), but only three mods (the Forge components are listed as having loaded.  The game does not crash; it plays normally--with the Forge components added to the vanilla version.  I am not using ModLoader or LiteLoader.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

I downloaded Buildcraft directly from its developer's site, and I placed the .jar in the mods folder I created in the .minecraft directory.

But first I downloaded the Forge APIs from this site, first the recommended (1180) iteration.  I ran the Windows installer, which created a profile in the Minecraft launcher.  Then did I add the Buildcraft mod.  I ran the launcher, but only the three Forge "mods" showed.  I then downloaded Forge 1186 and again ran the launcher with a new profile.  Still no success.

This is exactly the same procedure I had previously used with many, many mods and the many iterations of Forge I had successfully run with Minecraft 1.6.4.