[1.7.x][ANSWERED]Is there a limit to how big a packet can be?

hugo_the_dwarf

Hey so I am making a mod that is Diablo related (just elements from 1-3) and some other RPG games, and the mod's intention is to let players form a team, purchase/craft a "base node" which acts as the teams main location.

This base node does everything from repairing gear and restoring mana (from its own reserves)  and building the base. With using the GUI a player can pick a type of block, then click offset coords to create a list of locations, When done they send the list to the server and it reads them into the tileEntity so it can start building.

But I want to know (as this can get quite large if the player is very creative) how long of a string can I send across it?

And if there is a problem with large packets (lag, etc) would it be better to have the client send lots of "little" packets instead?

Hi

The packet size limit used to be 32k, it might be bigger now (not sure offhand).  I would recommend splitting into smaller packets no larger than 5k or so, and limiting the number you send as much as possible.  From what you describe, it doesn't sound like you need to send much information.

-TGG