A few questions from a more less relatively new Minecraft Server hoster

Wolfseye

Hi guys,

i just found this Website while looking for alternatives of Bukkit Server, especially since there seems to be the end of the line now with the legal situation with Notch recently.

I just rented my first Multiplayer Server, before I only played via LAN and SinglePlayer.

Now my question, what are the benefits or differences or maybe even disadvantages of hosting Minecraft with Minecraft Forge instead of Bukkit, which I have installed on my Server. My hoster doesn't have Minecraft Forge in his available Mod list, but the option to ask to get them to add that is there. I really only need a few plugins like WorldEdit, which is most important for me. So what are the differences for me hosting MC with this Mod here, instead of Bukkit ?

Or does it make more sense to stick with the Bukkit version I have installed, which is something like 1.7.9 (couldnt get 1.7.10 versions anymore because of the current Bukkit legal situation) ?

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thank you in advance.

Wolfseye

Assuming you're using something like mcprohosting, you still should have ftp file access to the files you're hosting on their server.  You can set your server to Vanilla minecraft pre-1.8 and manually copy in Forge over FTP.

At least that's what I'll be doing when Forge supports 1.8.  I also came here from the fallout at Bukkit.

... looking for alternatives of Bukkit Server... what are the benefits or differences or maybe even disadvantages of hosting Minecraft with Minecraft Forge instead of Bukkit, which I have installed on my Server. My hoster doesn't have Minecraft Forge in his available Mod list, but the option to ask to get them to add that is there. I really only need a few plugins like WorldEdit, which is most important for me. So what are the differences for me hosting MC with this Mod here, instead of Bukkit ?

Or does it make more sense to stick with the Bukkit version I have installed

If you want to start a new world, then you can start under a new program. However, if you want to port an existing world to a new server, then it's very tricky to change from one line of development to another. Anything (block types, items, entities etc) that one modded server saved into the world's files but is not known to the new server's mods is prone to be discarded. Seemingly random chaos can ensue. Unless you have a clear understanding of what your mods are doing (and not doing) internally, you shouldn't jam an existing world from one mod to another.

If you decide that you can switch to a Forge-modded server, especially if you dip your tow in the water with a new world, is there something stopping you from hosting it yourself? I run mine on the same machine as my web server. It sits in my laundry room whirring away 24/7, and my Comcast broadband can support about 6 players concurrently. If you're new to MC server, or if you're just trying out something, then your usage pattern is likely not in the hundreds of players on at the same time. You might start by running at home. You can port that world later to a Forge-modded server on a higher-bandwidth host if you decide to keep it and grow it.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.