variable help?

memcallen

I'm currently making a steam generator and I found a small problem. I have no idea how to send a variable to the TileEntity. I'm currently using a packet to relay 2 ints, one for water amount and one for temperature but I can't set the ints from my main block class. Could someone give me an example on how to do this?

The proud(ish) developer of Ancients

main.NetworkHandler.sendToServer(new WaterSteamRequestPacket(tileEntityX,tileEntityY,tileEntityZ,waterAmount,tempAmount));

WaterSteamRequestHandlerPacket implements IMessageHandler<BaseNodeRequestPacket, IMessage>

{

@Override

public IMessage onMessage(BaseNodeRequestPacket message, MessageContext ctx)

{

TileEntitySteamPump te = (TileEntitySteamPump)ctx.getServerHandler().playerEntity.getEntityWorld().getTileEntity(message.x, message.y, message.z);

te.setWaterLevel(message.waterLevel);

te.setTemp(message.Temp);

return new WaterSteamResponsePacket(tileEntityX,tileEntityY,tileEntityZ,waterAmount,tempAmount);

}

}

the return sends another packet which is registered clientside to do the same thing. I'm assuming your GUI takes the tileEntity so you should be able to use the GUI to display te.getWaterLevel().

This is using the ISimpleMessageWrapper tutorial.

I haven't actually figured out guis yet so there is no gui it's just currently a BlockContainer, a TileEntity and TileEntitySpecialRenderer. I will check out how to implement onMessage with my SteamGenerator class, and I'm using packets (the onDataPacket method).

The proud(ish) developer of Ancients

BaseNodeRequest oops I just copied one of my packets, that would be your WaterTempRequestPacket you can have a look at how the baseNode packet is made here

https://github.com/Hugo-the-Dwarf/Rise-of-Tristram/tree/master/src/main/java/ee/rot/comms

You can look at how I register them in my main mod file.

EDIT:

also you can call them whatever you want, I just use Request for Client to Server messages and Response for Server to Client messages. It's just what I name them as you could name your packets "WaterTempServer, and WaterTempClient" if you wanted to.