[1.8] setHardness, setResistance, setStepSound are "protected"!?

MrJPGames

So I was trying to update my mod to 1.8 (and yes I know it's in it's early stages right now). But it seems like these three functions (setHardness, setResistance, setStepSound) are protected in the Block class of Minecraft. Is there a workaround or do I just wait for the next update of FML for 1.8?

I try not to be mean about your english (as my own isn't the best either) but sometimes I can't help myself!

If you get mad at me for this or any other reason, please look at the profile picture so you'll feel better (and pretier) than me!

Thanks.

Well, you would only call them from your Block class anyways, so there is no problem.

I don't quite understand what you mean. I could add them to my own block class but I think that wouldn't work correctly, if that is the way could you try to be a little more specific on how to do so!

Here is the code I use for the adding the block:

public static final Block SapphireBlock = new MT_Block (235, 7).setHardness(2F).setResistance(4F).setStepSound(Block.soundTypeStone).setUnlocalizedName("SapphireBlock").setBlockTextureName("moretools:SapphireBlock");

Here is the MT_Block file:

package MoreTools;

import java.util.Random;

import net.minecraftforge.*;
import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
public class MT_Block extends Block
{
    public MT_Block(int par1, int par2)
    {
        super(Material.iron);
        this.setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabBlock);
    }

}

I try not to be mean about your english (as my own isn't the best either) but sometimes I can't help myself!

If you get mad at me for this or any other reason, please look at the profile picture so you'll feel better (and pretier) than me!

Thanks.

Call them from the Block's constructor.

public final class SomeBlock extends Block
{
    public SomeBlock()
    {
        super(Material.rock);
        setHardness(1.0F);
    }
}

To be honest, the block class shouldn't be treated as a 'Builder' class, and those methods should be void rather than 'chaining'.

BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP READ THE EAQ!

I'll help if I can. Apologies if I do something obviously stupid. :D

If you don't know basic Java yet, go and follow these tutorials.

Its about time... I always thought that was odd about most people's 1.7 code. I feel like one tutorial chained the calls that way to keep all the code in the main mod file and then many modders/newer programmers just thought that was how it worked!

I'll need help, and I'll give help. Just ask, you know I will!