Not sure if what I downloaded is Forge

emstrength

I read the EAQ.

With that said, half of it is Greek to me, so I'm going to do my best to follow the rules, but I will probably mess something up.

We just got minecraft for the PC and my kids are anxious to try mods. I'm really clueless about all of this. I read an article from PC magazine that says to download Forge before downloading the mod, so I followed the link to Forge and downloaded version 7.8.1.737 from here:  http://files.minecraftforge.net/

AVG said it gave me a trogan virus! That seems to be taken care of, but now I have this Open Download Manager. Is that Forge?  Can anyone help?

The things that the EAQ says to include in the post, I would happily do, but I don't know what they are or where to find them- entire logs?  The order I installed .jar files?  I have no idea.

AVG said it gave me a trogan virus! That seems to be taken care of, but now I have this Open Download Manager. Is that Forge?  Can anyone help?

You must have accidentally clicked on an advertisement. Like diesieben07 said, there is no Download Manager for Forge. What you downloaded was malware; you need to take steps to remove it. Don't worry it isn't the end of the world, most of it is fairly harmless.

Try downloading again from http://files.minecraftforge.net/ Instead of clicking on the word "Installer" click on the * next to it. This will ensure you actually download forge. Of course we prefer you use adfly because it brings in a little bit of $ for the project. However until you learn to safely navigate it just click on the *, it is a direct download.

An average guy who mods Minecraft. If you need help and are willing to use your brain, don't be afraid to ask.

Also, check out the Unofficial Minecraft Coder Pack (MCP) Prerelease Center for the latest from the MCP Team!

Was I helpful? Leave some karma/thanks! :)