How to use 3D SoundSystem with Forge 1.7

pingoleon60

Hello everyone.

I'm having a bit of trouble while coding my mod : I've searched a long time, but I don't see any way to use SoundSystem with Forge to display localised AudioStream like Jukeboxes do. I found some events but they're annoted as deprecated.

Anyone can explain or redirect me to a tutorial?

Thanks in advance!

Well...

I'm trying to make the client download an audio file and display it.

For now I use this :

AudioInputStream audioIn = AudioSystem.getAudioInputStream(new URL(urlToReach));
Clip clip = AudioSystem.getClip();
clip.open(audioIn);
clip.start();

(not exactly, but that's the idea)

EDIT : I found where the Paul'sCode SoundSystem was managed, but unfortunatly the soundsystem itself is private.

Oh! I've never heard about tha Reflection stuff.

But, I've never worked with that. I read stuff about it online, tried something :

SoundHandler sndHandler = Minecraft.getMinecraft().getSoundHandler();
Field sndManagerField = sndHandler.getClass().getDeclaredField("sndManager");
sndManagerField.setAccessible(true);
SoundManager mcSndManager = (SoundManager) sndManagerField.get(sndHandler);

Field sndSystemField = mcSndManager.getClass().getDeclaredField("sndSystem");
sndSystemField.setAccessible(true);
MusicManager.mcSndSystem = (SoundSystem) sndSystemField.get(mcSndManager);

But it seems to not work. That does not crash, but when I call that paulscode function :

public void loadSound( URL url, String identifier )
    {
        // Queue a command to load the sound file from a URL:
        CommandQueue( new CommandObject( CommandObject.LOAD_SOUND,
                                         new FilenameURL( url, identifier ) ) );
        // Wake the command thread to process commands:
        commandThread.interrupt();
    }

It crashes :

java.lang.NullPointerException
at paulscode.sound.SoundSystem.loadSound(SoundSystem.java:383) ~[soundSystem.class:?]
at pingo.minedisc.common.MusicManager.loadMusic(MusicManager.java:57) ~[MusicManager.class:?]
at pingo.minedisc.common.PlayMusicCommand.processCommand(PlayMusicCommand.java:54) ~[PlayMusicCommand.class:?]
at net.minecraft.command.CommandHandler.executeCommand(CommandHandler.java:96) [CommandHandler.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetHandlerPlayServer.handleSlashCommand(NetHandlerPlayServer.java:788) [NetHandlerPlayServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetHandlerPlayServer.processChatMessage(NetHandlerPlayServer.java:764) [NetHandlerPlayServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.play.client.C01PacketChatMessage.processPacket(C01PacketChatMessage.java:47) [C01PacketChatMessage.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.play.client.C01PacketChatMessage.processPacket(C01PacketChatMessage.java:68) [C01PacketChatMessage.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.processReceivedPackets(NetworkManager.java:241) [NetworkManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkSystem.networkTick(NetworkSystem.java:182) [NetworkSystem.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.updateTimeLightAndEntities(MinecraftServer.java:726) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.tick(MinecraftServer.java:614) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.tick(IntegratedServer.java:118) [integratedServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:485) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:752) [MinecraftServer$2.class:?]

SoundSystem's line 383 is commandThread.interrupt();

I've searched a long time, and I can't find why it does not work.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

a) I preload it in order to be able to play it from two different places but using only one memory space.

b)

private static Map<String, String> loadedMusics = new HashMap<String, String>();

private final static String[][] acceptedTypes = new String[][] { new String[] { "audio/x-wav", ".wav" } };

MusicManager.unloadMusic(urlToReach);
		URL url = new URL(urlToReach);
		String type = url.openConnection().getContentType();
		for (String[] row : MusicManager.acceptedTypes ) {
			System.out.println("Model : " + row[0] + " comparing to " + type);
			if (type.equals(row[0])) {
				String identifier = UUID.randomUUID().toString() + row[1];
				System.out.println("Music loaded as " + identifier);
				MusicManager.mcSndSystem.loadSound(url, identifier);
				MusicManager.loadedMusics.put(urlToReach, identifier);
			}
		}

My bad, I should have showed you that part before, because I'm not sure if I'm really doing it ok.

Oh ok. I called it from a command or from a TileEntity (in fact onNeighborChange from the Block call that function in the TileEntity).

public void processCommand(ICommandSender sender, String[] args) {
	if (args.length == 0) {
		sender.addChatMessage(new ChatComponentText("Invalid arguments."));
		return;
    }

sender.addChatMessage(new ChatComponentText(args[0]));

ItemStack stack = sender.getEntityWorld().getPlayerEntityByName(sender.getCommandSenderName()).getHeldItem();
	if (stack != null) {
		if (stack.getItem() == MineDisc.wifiCD) {
			if (stack.stackTagCompound == null) stack.stackTagCompound = new NBTTagCompound();
			stack.stackTagCompound.setString("musicURL", args[0]);
		}
	}
}

public void onNeighborBlockChange() {
	if (!worldObj.isRemote && worldObj.isBlockIndirectlyGettingPowered(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord) && currentMusicURL != "") {
		if (!wasRunningMusic) {
			if (this.playingSource != null) MusicManager.stopMusic(this.playingSource);
			this.playingSource = "";
			if (MusicManager.isLoaded(this.currentMusicURL)) this.playingSource = MusicManager.playMusic(currentMusicURL, xCoord, yCoord, zCoord, 1);
			else {
				MusicManager.loadMusic(this.currentMusicURL);
				this.playingSource = MusicManager.playMusic(currentMusicURL, xCoord, yCoord, zCoord, 1);
			}
			wasRunningMusic = true;
		}
	} else {
		if (wasRunningMusic) {
			if (this.playingSource != null) MusicManager.stopMusic(this.playingSource);
			this.playingSource = "";
			wasRunningMusic = false;
		}
	}
	worldObj.notifyBlocksOfNeighborChange(xCoord, yCoord, zCoord, MineDisc.CDPlayer);
}

In fact, I only forgot to delete those SideOnly annotation, because anyway it is never called by the server (only the packet handler and the client proxy interact with MusicManager).

// While Writing Edit : Oh damn it forgot that MusicManager.stopMusic, sorry.

Wow. I'm really dumb, indeed. I thought like only one person would be on the server. (please don't throw me to the stake xD)

I should save sources in a map with coordinates, that would be better.

I'll follow your tip about cache. I thought it was more efficient, but eh, it seems to not be.

Anyway, I did all of that (updated on the github), but that's still crashing on the same part of SoundSystem. I investigated, and it looks like SoundSystem shuts down too soon.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot for your lot of help ^^

Thank you very much, it now works!

a) I'm quite new at packets, so that was temporal, I made a string conversion only to test it faster because I didn't know methods to treat int when I wrote it x)

b) That's because I'm planning on adding other actions, but thinking of it I could only use an integer.

c) Just forgot to delete that part, sorry.

Thanks a lot anyway, you have been super nice in front of my stupidity xD

See you!

Oops never mind x)

When I call the quickPlay method, the game freeze like 5 seconds and then it works, even if I do it from a parrallel Thread.

public class ThreadStartMusic extends Thread {

private String url;
private int x;
private int y;
private int z;
private long volume;

public ThreadStartMusic(String url, int x, int y, int z, long volume) {
	this.url = url;
	this.x = x;
	this.y = y;
	this.z = z;
	this.volume = volume;
}

public void run() {
	MusicManager.playingMusics.put(MusicManager.playMusic(this.url, this.x, this.y, this.z, this.volume), new int[] { this.x, this.y, this.z });
}

}

Anby idea?

Thanks in advance xD