1.6.4 Help, Trying to add a sound file to an item

Darkly_SteamGear

so anyways, I've been trying to mod minecraft so that every time you break a block, or hit an entity, it makes a sound when using this item i've been trying to code in. i tried onLeftClick, and no sound,  i even tried using a vanilla sound to see if the code was working properly, and it didn't even work.  I cant seem to get this sound to play. and also i tried adding the files to the .json configuration file and it seems to be of no help to me. also the sound files are in the \src\main\java\assets\modname\sounds folder. i could really use some help, as youtube and the rest of the internet tutorials have failed me. i am modding 1.6.4 on the gradle setup in forge 9.11.1.964 (as for most of the good mods are back in that update, and i want to be able to use it along with a few other 1.6.4 never updated mods. 1.6.4 was a good era for mods, what can i say?) anyone here got something useful that i could possibly use or some good advice, please comment.

Yes, we do not support 1.6.4 and older anymore. So update.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

In 1.6.4, sounds are not added via JSON, they are registered during an event:

@ForgeSubscribe
public void onLoadSound(SoundLoadEvent event) {
event.manager.addSound(ModInfo.ID + ":sound_file.ogg");
}

If you have a sound with variants (e.g. 'sound1', 'sound2', etc.), you need to register each variant separately (loops work great) BUT when you play the sound, you play it without a number (e.g. 'sound') and it chooses a random one from the variants.

Other than that, sounds are handled exactly the same: world.playSoundAt(Entity...) plays a sound on the server which everyone will hear, player.playSound can be used on the client side to play a sound just for that player, and packets are your go between when needed.