[1.7.10][SOLVED] Syncing a lot of data between client and server...

Elix_x

Hi there, i have a question: is there an easier way to sync a lot of data (folders of files) beetween client an server.

Currently i found only few: using normal packets sytem and transfering byte[] via nbt or directly via to bytebuf (but how?) And is there an easier way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you have any questions, just ask!

What do you want to sync that's so much data?

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Packets from server to client are being automatically split into partial packets if you excess normal packet size. From client to server they are not so you would have to write  your own wrapper.

I've heard that opening new connection (thread) between client and server can cause problems (sometimes). Heard it long ago, never actually tested because I jumped straight into packets.

I am sending .jar files (skills) from server to client on connection (using checksums to check cached jars) and I classLoad them dinamically after they finish downloading - no problems with that so far. Using packets and dynamic classLoading I managed to send code, resources, models, even music.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

What do you want to sync that's so much data?

Models. Currently i'm working on mod, where players using special projector can project models into mc. All is ready, but to work on server, syncing between all players is needed. And that's why i need to send models from on to other... (then they are put in external folder in mc folder, which is meanwhile loadaed "as" external resourcepack).

And also, server is sort of hub, because if no, if new player joins game and nobody is on server, he will not be synced...

Funny - I am doing (almost) exacly same thing (Allowing players to make their own model).

And in this case - yeah, I wrote my wrapper for packets.

Just cache stuff use checksums and everything should work nice.

Packets from server to client are being automatically split into partial packets if you excess normal packet size. From client to server they are not so you would have to write  your own wrapper.

If this is what you are asking then above should be correct. I could quote Diesieben if i could find it.

So from client to server you need to split and put it back together on your own.

If this is what you are asking then above should be correct. I could quote Diesieben if i could find it.

So from client to server you need to split and put it back together on your own.

So for c-s i need to write my own, and s-c forge has one... That's better!

Well, I don't do this thing often, but I personally went easy way. I use Client->Server only to send small .jar files which contain renderer (and some .png), java model and API registration file (to hook into my mod). That all takes maybe few dozen kB. Splitting it into few packets is literally a matter of getting fileSize, splitting, writing to buffer and sending in portions in next packets with index integer (order of putting together). On server I just read buffer and put it into per-player IEEP map then after last one arrives I make new file from bytes and clear map. Not really hardest thing ever, certainly easier than writing own handler.

But yeah - if I had more time, I'd probably write handler, it's just that it is not priority for this mod (server actually), only a feature which I had fun making (which I doubt many will use).