[1.8 ]Octablocks Mod - Dividing blocks by 8

Reygok

Hello all!

I had the idea to divide almost every block in the game by 8, which gives a lot more building possibilites. I already made another mod before, a pretty simple one, where I just created new blocks and items and tools. This, however, is a whole new level, as it changes the game as it is, and doesn't only add new stuff.

So I'm facing two problems: first, I can't figure out how to let an existing block drop something else, for example let Dirt drop my custom smaller dirt block.

Second, I tried to render my small block of dirt, but it always renders at full size. I looked at the BlockSlab and BlockStairs classes, and also BlockFence, but the only thing I found, that seems to relate to this is setBaseCollisionBounds() and addCollisionBoxesToList(), but I changed the parameters of setBlockBounds() all to 0.5, but the collisionbox is still full. And also this does not apply to rendering, and I don't know how to render smaller than a full block.

I searched quite a bit, but the biggest problem is that 95% of the tutorials are outdated, since I'm modding on 1.8.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Reygok

let an existing block drop something else

HarvestDropsEvent

I tried to render my small block of dirt, but it always renders at full size.

In 1.8 blocks are rendered from .json

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample/tree/master/src/main/java/minecraftbyexample/mbe02_block_partial

Overall:

Blocks aside from their main memory (id) have exact 4 bits to hold additional data (metadata). That allows you to create 16 combinations on one block in given position without using TileEntity.

I had the idea to divide almost every block in the game by 8

Do you want to split block into 8 (2x2x2) pieces or 512 (8x8x8) pieces?

Second case is impossible without placing TileEntity in given position - which will really be quite an overkill for common blocks.

In 2x2x2 case you will need to create 8 BLOCKSTATES telling which place to populate with block.

Now - the problem is in rotation.

2x2 (2 bits) allows you to have 4 world directions. You need 2x2x2 (3) to have 8 states. So now you have to design system to work nicely.

Hint: Look at stairs more (much more).

EDIT

As to 8x8x8 - statement "impossible" is in regards of using simple Forge+Vanilla coding to do that.

It is possible with ASM (obviously) and would require you to rewrite hugeass chunk of game.

EDIT 2

Btw. are you sure that is your idea? http://slimevoid.net/littleblocks/

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Yeah I'm sorry I just googled a bit more and found out about HarvestDropsEvent, thanks anyway :D

As for the second part, I know about .json files, as I made a new Ore and a new Block for my other mod, but those I made only contain one line, I didn't see where this could change the actual rendering process. This link looks great, thanks again :)

And yeah I mean 8 sub-blocks, so 2x2x2 make up a big one - 512 is now what I want to achieve haha ^^

And I know about LittleBlocks, that's something completely different, as it just scales all the existing blocks, which even allows for tiny redstone circuits and everything. I just want to build stairs from dirt for example. That's the main purpose :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips!

Reygok