help with PlayerEvent.BreakSpeed

Atijaf

I am wanting to control the speed at which the player can mine blocks.

The problem:

It seems to work the way I want it to... Except when I go to mine a block with the proper tool.

IE. using a diamond pickaxe on diamond ore vs. using your hand on diamond ore.  I want both to mine at the same speed.

Here is my method: (Sorry, spoilers aren't working)

@SubscribeEvent

public void onBlockStartBreak(PlayerEvent.BreakSpeed event){

event.newSpeed = 5;

}

Any idea why a diamond pickaxe would be faster at mining diamond ore than a hand?

I know it doesn't make too much sense to do this, but this is the first step in the process and I need to get a better understanding of what's actually going on.

Thanks!

It's because if the current tool (or hand) cannot break the block, the speed is divided by 100 instead of 30:

// in ForgeHooks:
public static float blockStrength(IBlockState state, EntityPlayer player, World world, BlockPos pos)
    {
        float hardness = state.getBlock().getBlockHardness(world, pos);
        if (hardness < 0.0F)
        {
            return 0.0F;
        }

if (!canHarvestBlock(state.getBlock(), player, world, pos))
        {
            return player.getBreakSpeed(state, pos) / hardness / 100F;
        }
        else
        {
            return player.getBreakSpeed(state, pos) / hardness / 30F;
        }
    }

As you can see, always returning 5 will yield pretty different results based on the above algorithm.

Btw, you can easily find out such things yourself by utilizing the power of your IDE - select a method, right click and 'open call hierarchy' to see where it is called from, then keep following the rabbit hole. ;)

It's because if the current tool (or hand) cannot break the block, the speed is divided by 100 instead of 30:

// in ForgeHooks:

Btw, you can easily find out such things yourself by utilizing the power of your IDE - select a method, right click and 'open call hierarchy' to see where it is called from, then keep following the rabbit hole. ;)

Thanks for the tip!

Well I feel slightly embarrassed...

I thought it was working.  How would I edit or re-declare the "blockStrength" method?

You don't. It's a Forge method - tampering with it would bring the world crashing down.

To clarify, you want the player to mine ALL blocks at the same speed, regardless of tool? In that case, just check in your BreakEvent if the player's currently held item can harvest the block - if it cannot, multiply your break speed by (100 / 30) to compensate for the difference.