Making a new health bar

Asweez

I want to make a new health bar that is a bar instead of hearts. I was wondering if/how I could make the health go down in smaller increments(than half hearts) because my sword does varying damage and it isn't always in half heart increments.

Creator of the MyFit, MagiCraft, Tesseract gun, and Papa's Wingeria mod.

Hi

Here's my suggestion - use forge events (just ask if you need to know specifics) to cancel the health bar, render your own based upon how many hearts you have. As for your sword's custom damage, listen for when the sword is attacking the entity and then cause custom damage there (or change the sword's damage [easier IMO]). Hope that helps!

Development of Plugins [2012 - 2014] Development of Mods [2012 - Current]

You won't need any events for the sword damage - Minecraft already tracks health down to far finer fractions than is shown on the health bar.

How so?

Creator of the MyFit, MagiCraft, Tesseract gun, and Papa's Wingeria mod.

What do you mean, how so? The player's health is a floating point number, so the player can actually receive 0.1 damage and such, not just 1/2 heart (1.0 damage) or 1 full heart (2.0 damage). But Minecraft only DISPLAYS health as if it were either full or half.

Display of information does not always equate to the actual form of that information.

Most damage in Minecraft is either 1.0 or 2.0 or some other whole number.

This is what I get while punching a zombie burning in the sunlight:

[21:01:16] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 19.08
[21:01:16] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 17.58
[21:01:17] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 16.08
[21:01:17] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 14.58
[21:01:17] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 13.08
[21:01:18] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 11.58
[21:01:20] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 10.66
[21:01:20] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 9.16
[21:01:20] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 8.24
[21:01:21] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 6.74
[21:01:22] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 5.8199997
[21:01:22] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 4.8999996
[21:01:23] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 3.9799995
[21:01:24] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 2.4799995
[21:01:25] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 1.5599995
[21:01:25] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 0.059999466
[21:01:25] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents:onLivingUpdate:184]: Health: 0.0

Clearly, those are not whole numbers. ;)