Snow Ball As Base Gun in 1.8

Raebit

So I'm digging through the libraries and pulling out the code for the snowball to use as a base for a "learning by doing" test gun. I know that in 1.8 we need to make .json files for our textures and models. I've done that before.

Aside from that, is there anything else I should consider in regards to coding the gun in 1.8?

Also, am I forgetting any classes? So far I've pulled out the item class and the entity for the snowball.

Will I also need to make my own utility classes like damage sources and object positions or will the minecraft classes work fine for a custom gun? I suppose that might be upto how in depth I want to go into making this gun.

I don't want depth right now. I just want to make something very basic that will help me learn how the projectiles work and how the animations work.

Not asking for code, just parameters and setup. Thanks in advance.