[1.8] Upgrading Enchantments from 1.7

jeffryfisher

I've upgraded my mod from 1.7 to 1.8. Everything looks good except... My enchantment is missing (or hidden). It hasn't shown up in an enchanting table, and there's no book in creative inventory (there was in v1.7).

I've walked through the constructors in Eclipse's debugger; the super executes, and all assignments look OK (then I "setName" and "addToBookList"). I've looked at how vanilla enchantments are constructed, and my addition looks right. I'd post a log or error, but there's nothing to see. It just vanishes silently, and the game comes up without it.

Is there some new twist to enchantments in mc1.8? Is there yet another call to be made before my enchantment will be seen? Do enchantments now need json files too? I've scoured the upgrade tutorials and forums, and I don't see any hints. I've tried resource locations both with and without a "<mod>:" prefix; no joy.

What am I missing?

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Enchantment.addBookToList(yourenchantment) should add it to the creative.

Yeah, I did all that (and it was working) back in 1.7. Something is missing in 1.8. Maybe there's some trick to the resource location in the new version? There isn't any texture, so I'm not sure where the resource should be located under the new scheme.

I'll look again tomorrow with fresh eyes.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Okay, time to show some source code. Here's my extension of the Enchantment interface:

package jrfnethergem;

import net.minecraft.enchantment.Enchantment;
import net.minecraft.enchantment.EnumEnchantmentType;
import net.minecraft.init.Items;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemHoe;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraftforge.common.util.EnumHelper;

public class classSmartHarvestEnchantment extends Enchantment {

public static final EnumEnchantmentType enchantType = EnumHelper.addEnchantmentType ("farmer");
  private static final int SMART_HARVEST_ID = enchantType.ordinal ();
  protected static ResourceLocation resourceLoc = new ResourceLocation ("SmartHarvest");

public classSmartHarvestEnchantment() {
    super (SMART_HARVEST_ID, resourceLoc, 11, enchantType); // Assigns effectId, weight & type; adds to list/map
    this.setName ("smartHarvest");
    this.addToBookList (this);
  }

/*
   * The minimal value of enchantability needed on the enchantment level passed.
   */
  public int getMinEnchantability(int level) {
    return 11;
  }

/*
   * The maximum value of enchantability allowed on the enchantment level passed. It is meant only to shift toward high-levels for
   * enchantments that have multiple levels. SmartHarvest has only one level (1), so this is irrelevant. This function has no effect
   * on the chance for multiple enchantments.
   */
  public int getMaxEnchantability(int level) {
    return 50;
  }

@Override
  public boolean canApply(ItemStack s) {        // Applies only to hoes
    return (s.getItem () instanceof ItemHoe);
  }
}