[1.8] B3D Models - What Exactly Are They And How Do I Create Them

EverythingGames

Hi, I figured I want the ease of being able to efficiently use models without spending the time making a less quality .JSON model, while also getting a realistic model in the end. I heard about, and looked through Forge's src and their tutorial on how to use B3D models for items / blocks. My question is what exactly is this and how do I use it (is this just a forge thing)? If its a model format, why did forge not use something more popular like .obj or .BLEND? Also, is it possible to convert other models to this format? Thanks.

Development of Plugins [2012 - 2014] Development of Mods [2012 - Current]

Facts:

- You can export wavefront as B3D - for that google plugin for Blender. (B3D exporter I guess)

- I have no idea why not .obj - My guess - Fry (guy who does Forge's model systems) wanted to experiment with different format and he liked B3D, I also heard that B3D is "simplier" and more "clear" - whatever that means.

You simply export model in B3D format (via plugin) and use it in Forge's B3D loader.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Ah, well that makes more sense. I did a bit more research and others have said they had created B3D models by converting .obj and wavefront models in Blender. Hope this is the case, from there it is pretty easy rendering them from what I've seen. Another thing to add - I think B3D must be just a forge thing (a way to get realistic 3D models in Minecraft) considering they have classes for the models and their ain't a thing about B3D on google searching for it!

Alright, so I have my B3D model, I tried adding the domain and specifying a new ModelResourceLocation to a B3D for a test item, but the item still renders as the purple and black missing texture. The B3D model is in the assets/modid/models/item path and the code mentioned above is ran in the pre-init on the client side. Here's the code:

B3DLoader.instance.addDomain(MainReference.ID);
	ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MainProxyCommon.testitem, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MainReference.ID + ":" + "testitemname", "inventory"));