[1.8] B3D Item Code Does Not Work

EverythingGames

After hours and hours of work I still can't figure this out. I am trying to replace an item's model with a B3D model using the ModelBakeEvent. I converted a Wavefront model to B3D using RainWarrior's B3D exporter. Why is this code not working?

@SubscribeEvent
public void onEvent(ModelBakeEvent event)
{
	final ResourceLocation resourcelocation = new ResourceLocation(MainReference.ID + ":" + "models/item/model.b3d");
	final ModelResourceLocation modelresourcelocationone = new ModelResourceLocation(MainReference.ID + ":" + "item", "inventory");
	final ModelResourceLocation modelresourcelocationtwo = new ModelResourceLocation(resourcelocation, "inventory");
	final IBakedModel bakedmodel = event.modelManager.getModel(modelresourcelocationtwo);
	event.modelBakery.addVariantName(item, MainReference.ID + ":" + "model");
	event.modelRegistry.putObject(modelresourcelocationone, bakedmodel);
}

Development of Plugins [2012 - 2014] Development of Mods [2012 - Current]

Code like this will allow the implementation of B3D to IModel, but I cannot replace a modelresourcelocation with an IModel using the putObject(0 method, provided in the ModelBakeEvent. Here is that piece of code:

@SubscribeEvent
public void onEvent(ModelBakeEvent event)
{
	try
	{
		final ResourceLocation resourcelocation = new ResourceLocation(MainReference.ID + ":" + "models/item/model.b3d");
		final IModel model = B3DLoader.instance.loadModel(resourcelocation);
		//Then what? 
	}
	catch(IOException exception)
	{
		exception.printStackTrace();
	}
}

Does anyone have any experience with B3D or are there any suggestions at all? I would really love to have this feature in my mod.

There is model registry where you can register your own IModel, including B3D Model.

I remember that it was "ModelRegistry".

You should register the IModel there. Then it should be sufficient, you wouldn't even need the ModelBakeEvent.

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

The model registry instance is included in the model bake event. Even if I did register my IModel, how would I replace the item's ModelResourceLocation? How do IModels work? I know I had to do that when using ISmartItemModel an other IBakedModel types.

I think you can specify which B3D model you want to load in the Forge version with the new Forge JSON variant. You can do something like this:

{
    "forge_marker": 1,
    "variants": {
        "inventory": {
            "model": "modid:path/to/model.b3d",
            "transform": "forge:default-tool",
            "textures": {
                "layer0": "your_item_texture.png"
            }
        }
    }
}

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Thanks for the replies. I am getting a JSONParseException (the JSON was found apparently, but an error was found) and I don't

really know why. Am I doing something wrong in the JSON code, or is it in my model loading code? Here is the code for both:

Model Loading Code

public void calledInClientProxy()
{
    B3DLoader.instance.addDomain(MainReference.ID);
ModeLoader.setupCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0 , new ModelResourceLocation(/*item JSON path*/); //Is this needed?
}

JSON Code

{
            "model": "generic:item/model.b3d", //Yes, my modid is "generic" and the B3D model name is "model"
                "layer0": "generic:null" //No B3D model texture as of now
            }
        }
    }
}

Do I even need to set up a custom ModelResourceLocation or is registering the item render, like you would normally for items,

sufficient enough? Thanks for any previous/further replies.

I think you can specify which B3D model you want to load in the Forge version with the new Forge JSON variant. You can do something like this:

{
            "model": "modid:path/to/model.b3d",
                "layer0": "your_item_texture.png"
            }
        }
    }
}

That makes the Model Loader treat the .JSON as a block model and throws a run-time exception saying it cannot find the elements or parent of the block model. Keep in mind I want to do this for an item. I am using your .JSON code inside the .JSON that is normally registered for the item - that .JSON is pointing to the .B3D model but it throws the JsonParseException. Any ideas?

Sorry about causing the confusion. It couldn't be registered in those way.

You should need to register your modid by B3DLoader.instance().addDomain(String),

And It should be contain ".b3d" in the end of the name.

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

I just tried adding ".b3d" with my modid when using addDomain() and still nothing. How do I actually attach this to my item? I've seen other people using .JSON code to refer to their .b3d model and texture. I tried doing that in the item's .JSON, but as said in an earlier post, I get a run-time exception of JsonParseException. Something is not reading right, and I am very confused on how I tell Forge to use my .b3d.

I just tried adding ".b3d" with my modid when using addDomain() and still nothing. How do I actually attach this to my item? I've seen other people using .JSON code to refer to their .b3d model and texture. I tried doing that in the item's .JSON, but as said in an earlier post, I get a run-time exception of JsonParseException. Something is not reading right, and I am very confused on how I tell Forge to use my .b3d.

No, I didn't mean that.

You should register your modid using B3DLoader.instance().addDomain("yourmodid");

And you just put your .b3d model into the model directory.

+ You should have added the variant name to load the model, since it is not automatically searched.

I tried adding the variant name to the model bakery. I get an error at run-time saying the model was not found - when you add to the model bakery (variant name) it treats the file as a .JSON, I am using a .b3d. I have a test item setup - its .JSON contains the code needed to find the .JSON model and its texture path. When using that it throws the JSONParseException while also throwing an error on not finding the correct .JSON for the test item. I even tried using B3DLoader.instance.loadModel(resourcelocation) to cache my model, but I keep getting the .JSON Parse error. Is there any way to tell Forge that my item's .JSON is custom and points to a B3D model? I would really like to talk to Fry (RainWarrior) to see what he says to do to render B3D items (his B3D loader class supports items). Any ideas from anyone at what I should try to do next to get this working - much appreciation.

For further info, here is what I've already done:

Registered an item

Added Mod domain to B3DLoader; Setup the .JSON rendering for the item above

B3DLoader.instance.addDomain(MainReference.ID);
	ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(MainReference.ID + ":" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5), "inventory"));

Wrote the .JSON for the item above

{
    "variants": 
    {
        "inventory":
{
            "model": "generic:item/ak47.b3d",
            "textures":
    {
                "layer0": "generic:items/ak47"
            }
        }
    }
}

Code throws JSONParseException at run-time

com.google.gson.JsonParseException: BlockModel requires either elements or parent, found neither
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlock$Deserializer.parseModelBlock(ModelBlock.java:252) ~[ModelBlock$Deserializer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlock$Deserializer.deserialize(ModelBlock.java:323) ~[ModelBlock$Deserializer.class:?]
at com.google.gson.TreeTypeAdapter.read(TreeTypeAdapter.java:58) ~[TreeTypeAdapter.class:?]
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:803) ~[Gson.class:?]
at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:741) ~[Gson.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlock.deserialize(ModelBlock.java:47) ~[ModelBlock.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelBakery.loadModel(ModelBakery.java:269) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.access$800(ModelLoader.java:73) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.loadModel(ModelLoader.java:650) ~[ModelLoader$VanillaLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry.getModel(ModelLoaderRegistry.java:107) [ModelLoaderRegistry.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadAnyModel(ModelLoader.java:228) [ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.getModel(ModelLoader.java:211) [ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItems(ModelLoader.java:190) [ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:99) [ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:29) [ModelManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.registerReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:130) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:511) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:356) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:117) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_51]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_51]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_51]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_51]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(Unknown Source) [start/:?]
at GradleStart.main(Unknown Source) [start/:?]

My item's .JSON and .b3d model are in assets/modid/models/item

My .b3d model's texture is in assets/modid/textures/items

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Am I registering the .JSON for the item correctly? Is my .JSON wrong? Is there something wrong with my B3D model? Am I pointing to any resource's path wrong?

What happens if you set the location of the .b3d model file with the file extension?

Seeing its code, the model loader is called before item model is loaded, and overlapped the model.

What happens if you set the location of the .b3d model file with the file extension?

Seeing its code, the model loader is called before item model is loaded, and overlapped the model.

That didn't do a thing. I need step by step instructions on what I'm supposed to do (I understand nobody is familiar with this system) considering there are a bunch of different ways one could think of doing this, as I have found out...I don't see why my .JSON doesn't read right. I seen in another post, a guy got his to render - which means this is possible. Looks like this going to be Forge's WaveFront support for 1.8... a format nobody ever knew about...B3D! Why scrap the AdvancedModelLoader? I hear this all the time from modders - why reinvent the wheel?

Anyway, I'll still try to get this working (though I'm about to give up on it xD)!

You could ask Fry (RainWarrior) directly - he's the one designing most of rendering systems (from what i know/see).

Try IRC or Git, it can really be just a matter of small thing you are missing.

Other way - hours of studying B3D loader and rendering internals... :P

EDIT:

Btw.: I strongly belive I've seen wavefront loader implementation for 1.8, someone updated it from what I remember.

BOOM:

https://github.com/hsyyid/HaloMod/tree/master/src/main/java/com/arisux/xlib/api/wavefrontapi

Should work (seems pretty good to me, never used), yet still - this only solves you whining (lol) about B3D loader. You still have to find a way to render it for items (HaloCraft seems to be a VERY damn good source of info, just look at dem client classes).

P.S: Tell me if it works.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

You could ask Fry (RainWarrior) directly - he's the one designing most of rendering systems (from what i know/see).

Try IRC or Git, it can really be just a matter of small thing you are missing.

Other way - hours of studying B3D loader and rendering internals... :P

EDIT:

Btw.: I strongly belive I've seen wavefront loader implementation for 1.8, someone updated it from what I remember.

BOOM:

https://github.com/hsyyid/HaloMod/tree/master/src/main/java/com/arisux/xlib/api/wavefrontapi

Should work (seems pretty good to me, never used), yet still - this only solves you whining (lol) about B3D loader. You still have to find a way to render it for items (HaloCraft seems to be a VERY damn good source of info, just look at dem client classes).

P.S: Tell me if it works.

Thanks, that HaloCraft does exactly what I need to do...render obj models for items. The OBJ loader they use though - its pretty much the same as .B3D from what I can tell. I already have a wavefront converted B3D, so I gave it another try while also looking at the HaloCraft's code. The way they do it is that they add the loader to the ModelLoaderRegistry, add their mod to the loader, and finally they set up a custom resource location pointing to the obj model path in the model directory. I tried that with the B3D loader, it didn't work - I'm still going to try the API you suggested, though. Hopefully I can do magic with that API!

I am about few weeks before starting doing rendering for my armor systems (no longer 20-vanilla-shields, and self-designed multi armor pieces).

Good to hear that I just shot down future looking through model loaders' code.

Damn - it took me like 2min to find this. :D If you have repo you can link it, might be useful in few weeks just to see other's people ideas (you know - some tweaks and tricks that I might catch up with). :D

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Yea, I'n going to setup a repo in the future - I've extensively used the new model system and found interesting ways on how you can minipulate the GL state in a wrapper class (at run-time). Someone may find stuff like that useful.

I still really want to get these models rendered, no luck though. B3D would be nice to use because of the .JSON file that comes along with it (minecraft rejects the JSON when loading - see above JsonParseException). OBJ loader is nice as well but I don't know how to create / edit .mtl files for it. Also, I realized yesterday my model must be consistent with triangular mesh vs quadrilateral mesh (quads). Hopefully someone who knows their way around this "complex" rendering can help me out - thanks!  :)

If anyone is interested, this is an .OBJ loader I found for all Minecraft versions [including 1.8]

[the page says it isn't updated - if you look at the mod author's repo, the code API was updated to 1.8]

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1294081-any-version-of-minecraft-minecraft-glutils-obj