[1.7.10] Rendering, SetRotationAngles and accessing the Entity class

Frag

Hi guys,

I am hunting a bug that makes my animation skipping few frames from time to time ... and I am able to fix it. But I do not understand why. Maybe you can help me out.

Look at the following short method code sections ... option A and option B. This code is in the SetRotationAngles method of my model class.

Option A

this.bodysegment1.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed()  * 0.327F) );
    this.bodysegment2.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed()  * 0.327F - (float)(Math.PI/6)) );
    this.bodysegment3.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed()  * 0.327F - (float)(Math.PI/3)) );
    this.bodysegment4.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed() * 0.327F - (float)(Math.PI/2)) );
    this.bodysegment5.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed() * 0.327F - (float)(2*Math.PI/3)) );
    this.bodysegment6.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed()  * 0.327F - (float)(5*Math.PI/6)) );

Option B

this.bodysegment1.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * 0.7F  * 0.327F) );
    this.bodysegment2.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * 0.7F * 0.327F - (float)(Math.PI/6)) );
    this.bodysegment3.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * 0.7F  * 0.327F - (float)(Math.PI/3)) );
    this.bodysegment4.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * 0.7F * 0.327F - (float)(Math.PI/2)) );
    this.bodysegment5.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * 0.7F* 0.327F - (float)(2*Math.PI/3)) );
    this.bodysegment6.rotateAngleY = 0.15F *(MathHelper.cos(f2 * 0.7F  * 0.327F - (float)(5*Math.PI/6)) );

The Option A and the Option B section are in fact the same code, as the exception of _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed in Option A and 0.7F and Option B.

If I execute the code Option A, it access the entity object passed in parameters (named _shark), which will return a simple 0.7F value.

If I execute the code Option B, I simply hardcode the 0.7F value.

That is really weird, if I execute the Option A code, that access a simple property ... the animation jump some frame commonly. If I execute the Option B code, then the animation is perfect.

I even tried putting the value of _shark.GetTailFlapSpeed() in a variable ...therefore calling it only once ... which has the same effect. I am confused. Why accesing a simple method in the entity class makes the animation run not smoothly. Is it a client/server class synchro thing?

Here is the content of that little method.

@Override
public float GetTailFlapSpeed()
{
	return GetBaseTailFlapSpeed() + (currentSpeed*0.2F);

}

currentSpeed is a simple protected float value in a parent class.

And here is the GetBaseTailFlapSpeed method ... both are from a parent class. As you will see, the access is purely direct ... how come it creates a glitch?

protected final float GetBaseTailFlapSpeed()
{
return pBaseTailFlapSpeed;
}

I know its a tough one ...so maybe I can try something else.

Is it possible to link the Model class to the Entity class. So when the entity class is modified server side, I would send a Message that update the model class client side?

I know that the entity is available from the model class methods ...but since accessing it causes glitches in the animation, I could try to always keep my Model class updated with IMessage...

Any hints?