[1.7.10] Common Player ID

yoshiquest

So I'm about to implement the ability to add extended entity properties, and I'd like to know if there is a common ID I can use to get the player.

The reason I'm asking is because the data for all instances in forge-clj (my library for Clojure, see signature) are stored together in one place. I then grab data for an individual instance by using a unique key (for example, I use the x, y, and z values to get the correct data for a Tile Entity). As such, I'm wondering if there is a common ID I can use to get the correct data.

Would a UUID work for this? Or is it different between client and server?

Currently working on a mod to provide support for the Clojure programming language in Minecraft, check it out here.

Why is it that the same player has a different UUID in the EntityConstructing Event than when they are passed in via onItemRightClick?

EntityEvent.EntityConstructing

is fired from the

Entity

constructor, which is called before the

EntityPlayer

constructor sets the

Entity#entityUniqueID

field to the player's

UUID

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Why is it that the same player has a different UUID in the EntityConstructing Event than when they are passed in via onItemRightClick?

EntityEvent.EntityConstructing

is fired from the

Entity

constructor, which is called before the

EntityPlayer

constructor sets the

Entity#entityUniqueID

field to the player's

UUID

Yeah, I need the UUID for my Extended Properties. Is there an event I can safely call later or something?

Currently working on a mod to provide support for the Clojure programming language in Minecraft, check it out here.

Unfortunately that won't work with the way I'm structuring things. I'm using a different way of storing fields (in order to make the code cleaner and minimize field mutation). When the entity is constructed and the properties are registered, it gets the UUID in order to differentiate between instances within a hash-map. Due to this, a single instance has no fields, but just contains the required implementations in order to store these things in a global state.

For example, player1 has a uuid in the hash-map bound to a map containing a test value of 0, while player2 has a different uuid in the same hash-map with a test value of 1. Keeps the instances separate, but in one place. I did this successfully with tile entities, where instead of a uuid, I just used the x, y, and z values as the map key.

So yeah, because of that what you said won't really work. Thanks though.

Ok, nvm, I think I actually found something that worked (I tried using the player object itself as the map key, and it seems to be working).

Unfortunately, Forge seems to generate a random player name every time I use ./gradlew runclient, so I can't properly test everything. Is there a way to make it so that forge doesn't change the player name every time?

As for your question, the answer basically sums down to "it's a more Clojure-y way to do it". I'd elaborate further, but it's 1:00 AM here and explaining things take too long.

You can provide the --username argument (and --password if you want to log in).

And again, I do not see why you need this. Forge has IExtendedEntityProperties, which handles everything for you...

Ok, thanks for this, that was useful.

As for why, maybe I am reinventing the wheel here, but it mostly comes down to Clojure coding and how people typically structure their Clojure code, or at least from what I've seen. It's to make it more "Clojure friendly", really.

Actually wait, where do I put the argument? I thought it was a console argument, but it doesn't seem to like that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements