[1.8] - Some General Questions About Starting Out

datacat

So I'm a Python developer by trade and I figured the switch to Java for MC would be pretty smooth, but I've been having nothing but problems with the set up.

I'm attempting to write some new items for Forge, and the issues I'm having so far are:

0. I get a 'bootstrap class path not set in conjuction with -source 1.6', which from what I've looked up shouldn't cause any problems since my build is still successful, but I feel like that might contribute to the other issues I'm having.

1. After having set everything up, I don't seem to have a Minecraft source in my library list in Eclipse (even though I pointed the workspace to 'eclipse' folder in my forgemods directory). Again, from what I've researched this shouldn't cause a problem, but it would be very beneficial for me to be able to check out the code.

2. After all of this, I've tried to go ahead and attempt to write a basic mod, but I'm getting a ton of errors in Eclipse that say 'x cannot be resolved'. Here's a screen shot that may or may not help:

nfjwc3.png

If I'm not providing enough info, please let me know, I was just trying to be concise.

Definitely a case of Murphy's law

By the sounds of it you'll want to start fresh to avoid any issues.

1)Download a fresh MDK and extract

2)run gradlew cleancache

3)run gradlew setupdecompworkspace

4)run gradlew eclipse

5) mount eclipse to the eclipse folder and you should see the project folder labeled MDK

Hopefully that helps :)

I think its my java of the variables.