I want to update my eclipse from 1.6.4 to 1.8 but I don't know how.

War Crime

This is actually fairly tricky. But here's what you do.

First of all, save a copy of your 1.6.4 cause you don't want to lose it while you muck around with conversion.

Second, I suggest creating a new 1.8 workspace (follow any tutorial for this) and then import/copy your java files and resources into it.

Now the problem is that many things have changed between these versions. Many package names have changed (so your imports will have to change), many methods have changed names, the way some things are done (like block states and models) is now very different, some things like sound events have been deprecated.

So depending on what your mod had in it, Eclipse will tell you you have a LOT of errors. You then just start carefully going through them and figuring out what is wrong. The first thing is you'll need to make sure all the imports are right -- they changed many of the packages so that they are not under cpw anymore. That should clear up a lot of errors.

Then you need to look at each method and figure out what might have changed. Sometimes the names have changed, sometimes the parameters used have changed. The best way to figure it out is to look at similar vanilla classes' code to see how they do it.

Then there are the things that have changes a lot. If your mod is mostly about entities, then you'll be in good shape. But if it has a lot of blocks in it, then you're probably in for quite a bit of work. You will need to look at tutorials for converting your mod. I wrote some tips for converting from 1.7 to 1.8 here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-forge-converting-your-mod.html

You'll have to look at other tutorials about converting from 1.6.4 to 1.7.x.

There are some cases where it is actually easier to start over (sorry).

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Would it be possible to make a new work space (empty) and import the important stuff(like textures, templets, and files) into it?

Yes, that is what I said to do. Create a new 1.8 workspace and import your java and resource files from the 1.6.4 project. However, like I said: after doing that, Eclipse will complain about a lot of errors because the code will no longer be correct (for all the reasons I already listed above).

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/