[1.7.10] Is there any way to get the location of an ItemStack?

PrincessRTFM

I have an ItemStack object, and I know that's it's going to be inside either an EntityLiving's inventory, or an IInventory TileEntity. I want to get the location in the world of the container, regardless of which one it is. I can use different code for each scenario if I need to, but I haven't found any way to do this yet. Is it even possible, or am I out of luck?

ItemStacks themself don't have a reference to the inventory they are in, so you have to find another way. Where do you get the ItemStack from?

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Why do you need to know which inventory contains the stack?

As he said, because the item is being used as an RF container, and it's supposed to do different things depending on whether it's in the player's inventory or in a tile entity's inventory (I assume if it's in a tile entity, it charges that entity up, but if it's in a player's inventory, it instead charges the items in his inventory; that's the usual battery design).

ItemStacks have NBT data stored in their stackTagCompound member. One thing you could do is override the useItemRightClick() method; whenever a player right-clicks the item, it "activates" it, which in reality just stores that player's UUID in the NBT tags for later use.

As for clearing that tag when the item is put into a TileEntity's inventory...I'm not sure about that. If they were all your own tile entities, you could just make a custom slot class that extends slot but overrides the putStack() method to clear the tag. But since they're likely other people's containers...I'm not sure where to go from there.

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.

Why do you need to know which inventory contains the stack?

As he said, because the item is being used as an RF container, and it's supposed to do different things depending on whether it's in the player's inventory or in a tile entity's inventory (I assume if it's in a tile entity, it charges that entity up, but if it's in a player's inventory, it instead charges the items in his inventory; that's the usual battery design).

ItemStacks have NBT data stored in their stackTagCompound member. One thing you could do is override the useItemRightClick() method; whenever a player right-clicks the item, it "activates" it, which in reality just stores that player's UUID in the NBT tags for later use.

As for clearing that tag when the item is put into a TileEntity's inventory...I'm not sure about that. If they were all your own tile entities, you could just make a custom slot class that extends slot but overrides the putStack() method to clear the tag. But since they're likely other people's containers...I'm not sure where to go from there.

Actually, I'm making a "raw" version of the capacitor (because the final one is OP) and I want the raw one to need to be charged to finish it, like it's being "infused" with RF. Think Draconic Evolution's charged draconium blocks. But I want to require that the player do this in a block, instead of having (for example) an EnderIO wireless charge in their house that crafts it in their inventory. If I can't do that, I guess I could just up the power required to craft it or something.

Also I'm not a he.

You don't need special inventory detection code. Just use the normal IEnergyContainerItem and it should work with things like the Wireless Charger and Energetic Infuser.

But I don't want it to work with the Wireless Charger. I wanted it to only charge up in a charging block, not a player's inventory. Can't find a way to make that happen, so I've just put it on my todo list with a low priority.

Do you have access to the charger recipes? If so you could just add a charger recipe.

I could probably use IMC for that, I think Thermal Expansion allows that sort of thing, but then it would only work in one specific block. I guess I can't make it work the way I was hoping to, but thanks to everyone who responded for the help!