[1.8.9] [Solved] Gradle crashes when updating Forge

Quintinius

I've tried updating my build.gradle to reference 1.8.9-11.15.1.1722 and am getting this error when I run ./gradlew setupDecompWorkspace:

> #################################################
         ForgeGradle 2.0-SNAPSHOT        
  https://github.com/MinecraftForge/ForgeGradle  
#################################################
               Powered by MCP unknown               
             http://modcoderpack.com             
         by: Searge, ProfMobius, Fesh0r,         
         R4wk, ZeuX, IngisKahn, bspkrs           
#################################################
:deobfCompileDummyTask
:deobfProvidedDummyTask
:getVersionJson
:extractUserdev
~/.gradle/caches/minecraft/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.8.9-11.15.1.1722/userdev/dev.json could not be parsed
:extractUserdev FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred configuring root project 'Name of Mod'.
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: Inherited json file (1.8.9) not found! Maybe you are running in offline mode?

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

And here is the relevant part of the log when run with the --debug flag:

23:23:10.696 [DEBUG] [net.minecraftforge.gradle.util.delayed.DelayedBase] Resolving: {CACHE_DIR}/{API_GROUP_DIR}/{API_NAME}/{API_VERSION}/userdev/dev.json
23:23:10.707 [DEBUG] [net.minecraftforge.gradle.util.delayed.DelayedBase] Resolved: ~/.gradle/caches/minecraft/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.8.9-11.15.1.1722/userdev/dev.json
23:23:10.710 [DEBUG] [net.minecraftforge.gradle.util.delayed.DelayedBase] Resolving: {CACHE_DIR}/versionJsons
23:23:10.711 [DEBUG] [net.minecraftforge.gradle.util.delayed.DelayedBase] Resolved: ~/.gradle/caches/minecraft/versionJsons
23:23:10.765 [ERROR] [org.gradle.api.Project] ~/.gradle/caches/minecraft/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.8.9-11.15.1.1722/userdev/dev.json could not be parsed

The first file mentioned, dev.json, is exactly identical to the current one in the Forge repo, and although I admit I actually have no clue how Gradle works, the error messages seem to indicate that it runs aground on line 6 of that file when trying to read/parse ~/.gradle/caches/minecraft/versionJsons/1.8.9.json.

Unfortunately, beyond that, I've run out of ideas, and nobody else seems to have had this problem either. (Figures.)

I'm probably just doing something really stupidly wrong, but nevertheless, any help is gratefully appreciated. :)

I think I fixed it! I copied the 1.8.9.json(https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/755df95c96e698cc12cdb51b2d5e4e4f1d1be467/jsons/1.8.9.json) and put it in the dev.json. Working by me, maybe by you too.

Unfortunately, that didn't work - setupDecompWorkspace overwrote it with the original dev.json (and then threw up the same error) - but I did find the actual problem! It turns out that, as of build 1583, Forge requires ForgeGradle 2.1 - but that hasn't been released yet, so you have to set up build.gradle to use the latest snapshot of ForgeGradle.

It's possible to do this manually, but I suspect the easiest way for most people will be to download the most recent MDK from the Forge homepage, extract the MDK's build.gradle file and copy everything above the line starting "version =" into the same place in the mod's build.gradle, replacing everything that was there before.

Mystery solved!

• 3 months later...

I would like to bump this topic as I encountered the same issue, yet ForgeGradle 2.1 is already there.

I'm using build.gradle from latest git branch (https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/1.8.9/build.gradle)

If I add entries from the MDK, as you suggested, I have some conflict with apply plugin: "net.minecraftforge.gradle.patcher" line, then if I comment it out, it complains about version format (1.8.9 seems to be too short) but I guess such try&test leads to nowhere...