[1.7.10] Problem adding recipes - ClassCastException

ax1m

I'm trying to modularize the way I add recipes to my mod, in order to cut down on all the duplicate code I've been writing. I've seen examples around the internet of people using an Object array to pass crafting pattern and ingredients, but for some reason I can't get it to work, as it keeps crashing on startup.

Here's the code where it crashes:

package ch.ax1m.aximtech.init;

// SNIP - imports

public class Recipes {

// SNIP - init method and other stuff

private static void addToolRecipe(ItemToolAT tool) {

String mat = tool.getOreMaterial();
        Object[] pattern = null;

switch(Reference.ToolData.toolTypes.indexOf(tool.getToolType())) {
            case 0:
                pattern = new Object[] { "hXf", " X ", " I ", 'h', "hammer", 'f', "file" };
                break;

// SNIP - other tool types

}
        GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ShapedOreRecipe(new ItemStack(tool), pattern,
                'X', "ingot" + mat, 'P', "plate" + mat, 'R', "rod" + mat, 'I', "stickWood"));
    }
}

And this is the top of the stacktrace:

java.lang.ClassCastException: [Ljava.lang.Object; cannot be cast to java.lang.Character
at net.minecraftforge.oredict.ShapedOreRecipe.<init>(ShapedOreRecipe.java:89)
at ch.ax1m.aximtech.init.Recipes.addToolRecipe(Recipes.java:110)
at ch.ax1m.aximtech.init.Recipes.init(Recipes.java:42)
at ch.ax1m.aximtech.AximTech.init(AximTech.java:46)

I also tried wrapping the chars in my pattern Object in Character.valueOf(), as I've seen in a couple examples, but that didn't change anything, still gives me the same error.

ShapedOreRecipe

expects the pattern to be 1-3 strings or an array of strings, you're passing an array of pattern strings and ingredients.

You need to concatenate the pattern/ingredient array with the other ingredients.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Sorry if this is a really noobish question, but how would I go about declaring an array with alternating char and String type elements?

If you need a collection to store multiple types, you need to declare it using a common parent of those types.

String

and

Character

don't have any common parent apart from

Object

, so declare it as an array of

Object

s.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

But that's what I'm trying to do already, so wouldn't that just get me right back to not being able to cast an Object to a char?

That's not the issue here.

You're passing an

Object

array containing the pattern strings and some of the ingredients followed by the rest of the ingredients, so essentially you end up with this:

new ShapedOreRecipe(new ItemStack(tool), new Object[]{ "hXf", " X ", " I ", 'h', "hammer", 'f', "file" }, 'X', "ingot" + mat, 'P', "plate" + mat, 'R', "rod" + mat, 'I', "stickWood")

What you want is this (every argument except the first will be wrapped in an array because this is a vararg method):

new ShapedOreRecipe(new ItemStack(tool), "hXf", " X ", " I ", 'h', "hammer", 'f', "file", 'X', "ingot" + mat, 'P', "plate" + mat, 'R', "rod" + mat, 'I', "stickWood")

You need to create a single array containing all the pattern strings and ingredients and pass that as the second argument of the constructor.