[1.8] send package to TileEntity from local side to server side <SOLVED>

perromercenary00

Good nigts

i been working in an elevator for mi mod i actualy have more of the elevator is working plus the door,

but i missing a control gui to set where i wanna go

like is a block after all  i been using a tileEntity to store the data soo im trying to make a GUI whith the tileentity Data

but get stuck whith the little issue, how i send the data from the presed button in the client side to the tileEntity in the server side to make the elevator works

i alredy have package system and has alredy made code to send packages from gui in the local side to especific entity in the server side, but never to

tileEntity

thanks fro reading

Are you using the SimpleNetworkWrapper to deal with your packets? If not, I recommend it. There's a thread somewhere about it.

When you open the interface, you should store the tile entity position as a variable. Then when you click your button, send it back to the server through the packet.

Try to do as indicated, and post back with your results. Posting your errors, and attempted code if needed.

well i have of that  most of that

the question is what would go here 

if i wanna send the package to the tileEntity in

BlockPos{x=-46, y=72, z=328}

protected void actionPerformed(GuiButton guibutton) {
	// id is the id you give your button

int dx;
	int dy;
	int sx;

switch (guibutton.id) {
	case 0:

break;

case 1:

break;

case 2:

break;

}
	// Packet code here
	// PacketDispatcher.sendPacketToServer(packet); //send packet
}

in the gui for the merchant of mi mod i send the packages this way

protected void actionPerformed(GuiButton guibutton) {
	// id is the id you give your button

int dx;
	int dy;
	int sx;

switch (guibutton.id) {
	case 1:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("UPapp_"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 2:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BUY_00"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 3:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BUY_01"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 4:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BUY_02"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;			

case 5:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BUY_03"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 6:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BUY_04"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 7:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("DWapp_"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 8:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BOT_00"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 9:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BOT_01"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;

case 10:
		Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("BOT_02"+te.getEntity().getEntityId() ));
		break;
	}
	// Packet code here
	// PacketDispatcher.sendPacketToServer(packet); //send packet
}

thanks for reading

Well, you have your buttons. You simply send packet to server when button is pressed.

Packet will contain x/y/z and data you want to send.

On server you know who is sending packet (from MessageContext), then you get world of player and get TileEntity is x/y/z.

Update your data in server's TileEntity (1st always check if it is "legal", e.g if player is actually near TE and stuff).

After server's data is updated - send update packets back to all clients that need it (again with x/y/z system).

Note: That is if you are using TE + Gui (client).

Addition:

If your TileEntity uses Container (has slots), the server knows when player has Container opened (you know, server's one corresponds with client's one).

If your container is bound to TileEntity (has reference when opened) you don't need to send x/y/z in packet.

That is just another way to get TE on server (not really popular), but 1st one (x/y/z) is better.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Take a look at GuiEditSign. They store the TileEntity as a variable, and send the position in the packet.

That's a pretty common way to do it. If you want to know how everything is working, just navigate through the various functions and objects. (Ctrl + click a bit of code to view where it's from and all that)

well solved but not as clean as i wanted

well  idont wana make an

Mercenary.network.sendToServer(new mensajeMercenarioalServidor("TE"+posX+","+posY+","+posZ));

and dont get how worklks the thing whith GuiEditSign sooo

i use the package to triger a metod to check where the player is looking and if it its the block of the especific kind do stuff

for the way mi elevator works there is little risk to chech a wrong block but

there is another little issue

i wanna make the gui to close before the elevator begins to move

but i dont see something like

this.close();  gui.close(); // or kill

there is way to close the gui from inside code ??

As BusyBeever said, it's a bad idea (not buggy, just bad practice) to send a compounded string as your packet.

Send 3 integers in your packet. It's less payload, I believe, than to send a string.

As far as closing the interface, that is also in the GuiEditSign class

this.mc.displayGuiScreen((GuiScreen)null);

i wass thinking in made another message class but this one sending binary data rather than string, ihave  the one you get whith the tutorials

bu t not go too deep whith it

the trick of make the this.mc.displayGuiScreen((GuiScreen)null); works nice afthe the actionPerformed(GuiButton guibutton) to close the gui

so thanks

whith this i set the threath a solved