[Any] [SOLVED] Minecraft Modding with Java 8?

Bektor

Hi,

after I've finally found a bit of motivation I've just worked me through the basics of Java 8 lambda expressions and functional interfaces.

After some thinking about it I'm now wondering: Is it possible to use Java 8 features for Minecraft Mods? Are they there usefull? Where can they be used? How efficient are they there?

I'm basically asking because I wasn't able to found one project I'm working on in modding and outside of modding where I need lambda expressions and functional interfaces.

It would also be nice if someone answers these questions also for Java 8 streams, even if I don't know them now. Without having a reason to use them I've just got no motivation to learn them. -_-

Thx in advance.

Bektor

Developer of Primeval Forest.

Streams are helpful and can be used in the exact same ways in MC as in other Java code. Streams are definitely slower however as long as you don't use large streams in code that is called very often (e.g. rendering) there shouldn't be any problems.

One thing to keep an eye out for is when use lambdas for functional interfaces in vanilla code (e.g.

ItemMeshDefinition

). SpecialSource doesn't properly handle lambdas, so if you pass in a lambda or method reference to

ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition

it won't get obfuscated and will case an AbstractMethodError at runtime. To get around this use a custom wrapper interface like this so the default method is obfuscated and can call the unobfuscated method provided by the lambda.

Don't make mods if you don't know Java.

Check out my website: http://shadowfacts.net

Developer of many mods

Yes it is possible to use Java 8.

I am only using it to get those sweeeet default methods in interfaces. Very nice for APIs.

I have no clue what you are after regarding efficiency of Java 8 - are you asking about only lambda/stream? I woudln't say they are any faster than any other design choice (depends, they are often slower) - because that's what the are - design choice. Should you use them? If you design requires it, sure, why not.

Is there a reason for using Java 8? Well - MC is targeting 6, anything above will require ppl who run your mod to have proper Java.

Some ppl are lazy (to update), but that is their loss...

P.S: To compile against 1.8 add this to build.gradle:

sourceCompatibility = 1.8
targetCompatibility = 1.8

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Ok, thx for the answers.

So where can I use Java 8 specific things in terms of modding efficient?

Don't expect good answers to bad questions.

Everything in java 7 or 8 is mostly design choice. Some are very useful (mentioned default and static in interface for making APIs).

Don't force any java above 6 just because you think it is better. MC targets Java 6, You "should" too, but if you NEED (and I mean REALLY need) some special feature - nothing stops you from using 6+ (users just ahve to have it).

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
    • Instale el mod en mi servidor y este se queda iniciando por horas, en la consola me habla de algo de permisos y trate de seguir la ruta que me da pero no existe.   [13:05:32 INFO]: CustomNPC Permissions available: [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.edit.blocks [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.edit.villager [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.bank [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.dialog [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.faction [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.linked [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.naturalspawn [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.playerdata [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.quest [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.recipe [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.global.transport [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.advanced [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.ai [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.clone [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.create [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.delete [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.display [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.freeze [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.gui [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.inventory [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.reset [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.npc.stats [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.scenes [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.soulstone.all [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.spawner.create [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.spawner.mob [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.tool.mounter [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.tool.nbtbook [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.tool.pather [13:05:32 INFO]: customnpcs.tool.scripter
    • I have created a very simple mod that is just supposed to send a message to a player when they join. Upon adding it to a server (that has other mods on it), the following crash message appears: [12:13:01] [main/ERROR] [minecraft/Main]: Failed to start the minecraft server net.minecraftforge.fml.LoadingFailedException: Loading errors encountered: [         Epic Mod (epicmod) has failed to load correctly §7java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: net.ed.epicmod.EpicMod.<init>() ]         at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModLoader.waitForTransition(ModLoader.java:243) ~[fmlcore-1.19.2-43.2.14.jar%23548!/:?] {}         at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModLoader.lambda$dispatchAndHandleError$24(ModLoader.java:208) ~[fmlcore-1.19.2-43.2.14.jar%23548!/:?] {}         at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:178) ~[?:?] {re:mixin}         at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModLoader.dispatchAndHandleError(ModLoader.java:208) ~[fmlcore-1.19.2-43.2.14.jar%23548!/:?] {}         at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModLoader.lambda$gatherAndInitializeMods$14(ModLoader.java:185) ~[fmlcore-1.19.2-43.2.14.jar%23548!/:?] {}         at java.lang.Iterable.forEach(Iterable.java:75) ~[?:?] {re:mixin,re:computing_frames}         at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModLoader.gatherAndInitializeMods(ModLoader.java:185) ~[fmlcore-1.19.2-43.2.14.jar%23548!/:?] {}         at net.minecraftforge.server.loading.ServerModLoader.load(ServerModLoader.java:32) ~[forge-1.19.2-43.2.14-universal.jar%23552!/:?] {re:classloading}         at net.minecraft.server.Main.main(Main.java:113) ~[server-1.19.2-20220805.130853-srg.jar%23547!/:?] {re:classloading,re:mixin,pl:mixin:A}         at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?] {}         at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77) ~[?:?] {}         at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?] {}         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568) ~[?:?] {}         at net.minecraftforge.fml.loading.targets.CommonServerLaunchHandler.lambda$launchService$0(CommonServerLaunchHandler.java:29) ~[fmlloader-1.19.2-43.2.14.jar%2367!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:30) [modlauncher-10.0.8.jar%2354!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:53) [modlauncher-10.0.8.jar%2354!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:71) [modlauncher-10.0.8.jar%2354!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:106) [modlauncher-10.0.8.jar%2354!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:77) [modlauncher-10.0.8.jar%2354!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.modlauncher.BootstrapLaunchConsumer.accept(BootstrapLaunchConsumer.java:26) [modlauncher-10.0.8.jar%2354!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.modlauncher.BootstrapLaunchConsumer.accept(BootstrapLaunchConsumer.java:23) [modlauncher-10.0.8.jar%2354!/:?] {}         at cpw.mods.bootstraplauncher.BootstrapLauncher.main(BootstrapLauncher.java:141) [bootstraplauncher-1.1.2.jar:?] {} Why could this be? I have tried using the mod on another forge server with only this mod installed and it works there. Is my mod somehow interfering with other mods? MC version is 1.19.2
    • how to make animated doors?, maybe geckolib, but i don't know how to code it?
    • For crash 1, set max-tick-time to -1 in your server.properties Crash 2 shows a conflict or incompatibility between LuckPerms and the mod boh-0.0.6.1-forge-1.20.1_2.jar
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.