[1.8.9] detect if a block exists

Raycoms

Is there a way to detect if a block exists in the current version?

I have a block in code only which has been saved.

I now want to see if this block still does exist.

Examples: We had in 1.7.10 the block shrub which now in 1.8.9 turned "dead_bush". Or maybe the slimeblock from 1.8.9 which I shouldn't place in 1.7.10.

I want to detect if these blocks do exist in the current minecraft version with the current mods.

From your context, I reckon that "exists" means "in play" as opposed to being placed at a specific xyz coordinate in the world.

For some blocks, you can use the ore dictionary to see of there are any renditions of selected common-name substances like copper ore/ingot/block. Hunt down a tutorial on oredict.

For non-dictionary blocks, you will either need reflection (to see if a particular class has a particular field) or you will need a separate version of your mod for separate versions of Minecraft because you can't even compile some incompatible code.

You can also use the postInit event handler to poke at other mods to see who's loaded and what they're providing.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.