gradlew setupDecompWorkspace not working with Eclipse Mars

Eighty8keyGuru

Hello. I am new to modding and following a tutorial for minecraft 1.8. The thing is, I can't even setup the forge gradle files because it is unsuccessful when I run the command:

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace --refresh-dependencies

I type it exactly as it is written here in a cmd prompt I opened inside the extracted forge folder. Note that I did place the extracted forge and eclipse folders under the same parent folder. The error message I'm getting after the "Powered by MCP" stuff is:

:extractMcpData

:getVersionJson

:extractUserdev

:genSrgs SKIPPED

:extractNatives

:getAssetsIndex

:getAssets

:makeStart

[ant:javac] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.6

[ant:javac] 1 warning

:downloadMcpTools SKIPPED

:downloadClient SKIPPED

downloadServer SKIPPED

:mergeJars FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

*What went wrong:

Execution failed for task ':mergeJars'.

> java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file

Then it suggests I try running with stacktrace, which I've tried but like I said, I'm new to modding so I don't understand any of it.

The strange thing is that when I follow the tutorial and do the same exact command for forge 1.7.10, it works perfectly. It was fine until the tutorial started using methods that were newly implemented in 1.8. Sometimes I also get the same error but with the ":splitServerJar" process. What do these errors mean, and how can I fix? Thanks for any advice.

~ Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was just following the tutorial to the letter hoping I had spelled it wrong the first time or something. I've tried several times in 1.8 with no luck. And yes I've installed the jdk 1.8_91 for the correct windows x64. I even did the javac command to check and it came out fine.

~ Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, if I'm to be using the "eclipse" folder within the "forge" unpacked folder, I need to do the command:

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

within the "eclipse" folder?

(What I mean by that is when I pull up eclipse, the directory I choose on the very first window is the eclipse folder within the forge. And yes I've unpacked both the ZIPs.)

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ok, I just tried running it from the eclipse window and it didn't recognize the command. Here are my folder hierarchies:

Desktop/Programming/Eclipse

Desktop/Programming/Forge-1.8-11.14.3.1502-src

(both of these unpacked from the original downloaded zip files)

My original attempt was to go into the Forge folder mentioned above and run the command.

Also, I just noticed, the MCP data version reads: snapshot_20141130. Don't know if that's useful or not.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Create a seperate folder for all your individual mod items (as it's good practice and you can rinse and repeat from the forge folder you unzipped) and copy just the folders and files (excluding text files) into that. In that main folder where .gradlew exists, shift right click and open your command window.

run gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

run gradlew eclipse

Done.

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, I just want to make sure I understood you clearly. You said to create a separate folder for my mod stuff. Is this within the forge folder, or the programming folder (would it be Desktop/Programming/forge-1.8-11.14.3.1502-src/modstuff or would it be Desktop/Programming/modstuff)?

Also, the command should still be run from the forge folder?

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

It'll be wherever you want it to be.

My Mod for example is in C://Users/<myusername>/Desktop/<mymodname>/

All the files relevant to that mod and that mod alone reside in there. It has its own decompiled workspace and eclipse folder. All I do is copy over the necessary forge folders and gradle files.

Ok, I copied all the files from the forge folder to a new folder on my desktop for the mod, but I've now tried running the cmd prompt from both folders (where .gradlew exists) and still it fails the "mergeJars" process.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

I tried again.

1. I downloaded the recommended version of Forge mdk. (forge-1.8-11.14.4.1563-mdk)

2. I extracted it into the Programming parent file alongside eclipse (within its own folder)

3. I copied the contents into a folder separate for the mod. (my testmod folder)

4. I opened the testmod folder and ran the command: gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

5. Step four failed, so I tried the command in the original forge extracted folder. Still failed. Same error message too.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay. Reinstalled eclipse, forge, and jdk. All correct versions:

Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers Windows x64.

forge-1.8-11.14.4.1563-mdk.

jdk-1.8_92 windows x64.

SAME ISSUE. This is getting frustrating cause I've had this problem for the past week. Tried googling it, there isn't anything detailing this problem. You've been helpful and I appreciate it. Do you have any more suggestions, or a site you can link me that'll help?

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Extract minecraftforge zip-mdk or zip-src file.

-Open command window there.

-type: "gradlew setupDecompWorkspace eclipse"

-when finished, then, but only then and not before, open the project in eclipse

(workspace directory: eclipse folder in extracted zip)

-start programming!