What's the best way to generate a central biome feature?

Siubijeni

I am working on a mod for which I must generate a single instance of a specific feature somewhere in the middle of each biome. Or, well, in those instances where there are really massive biomes, it could consider it two adjacent biomes and generate two of the features. I have been considering ways to go about this, and have come up with several options. I am, however, legitimately uncertain which would work best. There may be considerations or options I have not thought of. So I wished to get some input from the community.

The options I have come up with are:

[*]Look for adjacent chunks sharing a biome, roughly calculate the center, and generate the feature. Problem here is when it's generating chunks as you explore... how does it know what will be but is not yet generated? It doesn't.

[*]Generate a special, single-chunk biome variant that cannot be at the edge of a cluster. It doesn't have to be in the exact center, just not too close to the edge. I feel like this is probably the best I've thought of, although I'm not 100% certain how to go about it. I believe Twilight Forest does something with "center" biome variants, but I don't know if it cares about how many spawn in a given biome.

[*]This is kind of a variant of either of the above, but just when it's generating a new chunk look for a certain number of the same connected biome chunks. If it finds enough, it either generates the alternate chunk or just puts the feature in the new chunk. I guess it would then have to generate a certain number more of the chunks before it could put a new feature in, IF it sticks to the same biome type for long enough. This seems like it could cause problems with too many of the features, though. I want every biome to have one, but given how large contiguous biomes are on average... that leaves them uncommon enough for my purposes.

So, the idea being a plains would have a plains variant of the feature somewhere within. Same for each biome. Any advice or input would be very much appreciated here. Thanks!