Structure Gen

SprengMeister02

Hello everyone,

does somebody know how to add a structure gen?

MCreator told me that structures can't be bigger that 1600 blocks, so I wanted to try it on my own.

I decompiled Doomlike Dungeons mod, and there is nothing like the stuff Mcreator imports from a .schematic-file.

If somebody knows how to do this, then answer my question.

Best regards,

SprengMeister02

PS: I know some people hate MCreator for some reason, but DON'T TELL ME WHAT I ALREADY KNOW.

I SAID I WANT TO TRY IT ON MY OWN, SO ANSWER THE QUESTION AND NOT THE OTHER STUFF. Thanks.

In Minecraft, there are creepers ant TNT, but I

am definitely the most explosive thing.

You don't say whether you're using Forge or whatever, but are you trying to create naturally generating structures or ones that can be created by the player (like with an item)?

Anyway, the first thing is to decide whether your structure is "regular" meaning lots of shapes that can be calculated (like rectangular rooms) or "irregular" meaning lots of details that can't be calculated. If it is regular, you can usually just use loops to place the blocks, combining routines to make walls, ceilings, and such. If it is irregular then it is best to read it from a file resource.

In the case of a file resource, I usually just come up with my own format that simply lists the block types, relative positions, and any metadata in a text file. Then during the mod loading I just load that information into a list or array, then when I want to generate the structure I just iterate through the list and place the blocks according to the relative positions.

One other detail is that some blocks act differently depending on the order they are placed. For example, if you place a torch block before the wall it is supposed to go on then it will fall down and become an ItemBlock of a torch. Most of the blocks that act this way also have metadata. So I actually generate the structure in a couple "passes" -- first the normal blocks, then the special blocks.

If your structure contains items for loot and entities you can do a similar thing, using a text file to indicate the item or entity and it's relative position in the structure.

If your structure is a simple variation on vanilla structures, you might be able to use the built-in structure generation code. In that case, simply review the village generation code to get the idea how that works and modify to your liking.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/