(1.11.2) Replacing Blocks

J_Dev

If you don't care about the generated one but only the placed one you can catch the onBlockPlaced event and set your block instead of vanilla one (like i do with my custom flower pot)

Edited by JimiIT92

Don't blame me if i always ask for your help. I just want to learn to be better :)

1 hour ago, diesieben07 said:

Update to 1.12 and use the new registry override feature.

Thank you, I updated to 1.12. But, how exactly do i do what you are describing, or do you know where i can read up on it?

2 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

You just register your Block with the registry name that you want to override and it will override the existing value.

I did this and it worked. Thank you so much, however the block is no longer textured. How do i fix this?

19 minutes ago, J_Dev said:

I did this and it worked. Thank you so much, however the block is no longer textured. How do i fix this?

That could be related to this issue. Are you using the latest version of Forge?

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

1 hour ago, J_Dev said:

No

Then it's probably an issue with your code rather than the Forge issue I linked.

Please post your code, the relevant JSON files and the FML log (logs/fml-client-latest.log in the game directory) using Gist or Pastebin.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

[10:44:52] [main/ERROR] [FML/]: Exception loading model for variant minecraft:grass#normal for blockstate "minecraft:grass"
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model minecraft:grass#normal with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping
Caused by: net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelBlockDefinition$MissingVariantException

Your replacement Block doesn't have the BlockGrass.SNOWY property, so Minecraft tries to load the model from the minecraft:grass#normal variant, which doesn't exist. You should include this property in your Block.

You should also register an IStateMapper for your replacement Block so that its models are loaded from a different blockstates file. This will prevent resource packs that replace the minecraft:grass blockstates file from replacing your Block's models (though resource packs that replace your blockstates file will still work, this is intended).

Your IStateMapper can extend StateMapperBase and implement StateMapperBase#getModelResourceLocation to do something similar to DefaultStateMapper#getModelResourceLocation, but use the location of your blockstates file as the domain and path of the ModelResourceLocation instead of using the registry name.

[10:44:52] [main/WARN] [FML/]: Unable to set public static net.minecraft.block.BlockGrass net.minecraft.init.Blocks.GRASS with value Block{minecraft:grass} (minecraft:grass)
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: null
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor5.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_102]
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_102]
    at net.minecraftforge.registries.ObjectHolderRef$FinalFieldHelper.setField(ObjectHolderRef.java:180) ~[ObjectHolderRef$FinalFieldHelper.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.registries.ObjectHolderRef.apply(ObjectHolderRef.java:146) [ObjectHolderRef.class:?]

at net.minecraftforge.registries.ObjectHolderRegistry.applyObjectHolders(ObjectHolderRegistry.java:170) [ObjectHolderRegistry.class:?]

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can not set static net.minecraft.block.BlockGrass field net.minecraft.init.Blocks.GRASS to com.j_dev.witherapocalypse.blocks.BlockWithered_Debris

Your replacement Block needs to extend BlockGrass.

1 hour ago, Choonster said:

Your replacement Block doesn't have the BlockGrass.SNOWY property, so Minecraft tries to load the model from the minecraft:grass#normal variant, which doesn't exist. You should include this property in your Block.

You should also register an IStateMapper for your replacement Block so that its models are loaded from a different blockstates file. This will prevent resource packs that replace the minecraft:grass blockstates file from replacing your Block's models (though resource packs that replace your blockstates file will still work, this is intended).

Your IStateMapper can extend StateMapperBase and implement StateMapperBase#getModelResourceLocation to do something similar to DefaultStateMapper#getModelResourceLocation, but use the location of your blockstates file as the domain and path of the ModelResourceLocation instead of using the registry name.

Your replacement Block needs to extend BlockGrass.

Okay I did everything else but I do not know how to do the IStateMapper thing. How do i do this, or could you point me to where i can learn about this. Thank you so much for the help so far, i reallt appreciate it. I am new to modding and all the help makes me really want to learn more.

11 minutes ago, J_Dev said:

Okay I did everything else but I do not know how to do the IStateMapper thing. How do i do this, or could you point me to where i can learn about this.

Look at the DefaultStateMapper#getModelResourceLocation method to see how it returns a ModelResourceLocation with the Block's registry name as the domain/path and a property string of the IBlockState's property and values as the variant.

You need to extend StateMapperBase and implement StateMapperBase#getModelResourceLocation to return a ModelResourceLocation with your blockstates file's domain (your mod ID) and name as the domain/path and the property string as the variant.

If your mod ID is jwa and your blockstates file is called withered_debris.json, use "jwa:withered_debris" as the first argument of the ModelResourceLocation constructor. 

Once you've created this class, register an instance of it for your Block by calling ModelLoader.setCustomStateMapper. Do this in ModelRegistryEvent.

• Like 1