[1.11.2] Can I use SimpleImpl to send a message from a client to the server to another client?

TheMattyBoy

I'm trying to create a GUI that can play sounds of type MovingSound (as opposed to a normal PositionedSoundRecords, which is what World#playSound uses) when pressed, not only to the player using the GUI, but to everyone within range. Of course, GUI's are exclusively client sided, so I decided to use SimpleImpl to send a message about the sound to the server, but since I'm using a MovingSound I then have to play it through the SoundHandler in Minecraft (which is a client class) on all receiving clients. I'm kinda new to SimpleImpl and networking in general, but from my limited experience it would appear that you have to register your client packets only on the client side and server packets on the server side (if I didn't do this either the server would crash or my client would be kicked from the server, respectively). This, however, poses a problem as I'm trying to send a package that is only registered on the client from a package that is only registered on the server, meaning that I'm effectively trying to send a package that isn't registered (at least, that's how I think it works). I believe there's something wrong with how I register my packets, but as I say I'm new to networking so I don't really know. Help would be greatly appreciated!

GitHub can be found here:

https://github.com/TheMattyBoy00/petri-mod-2.0/tree/master/Petri_Mod-1.11.2/src/main/java/erikalebenjamattias/petrimod

My GUI is here (it's long and messy, package is sent at line 324) (if you're wondering why I play the sound on the client and then send it to the server to play to all other clients nearby, it's to reduce latency for the person playing the piano [which is what the GUI is for if you hadn't guessed]):

https://github.com/TheMattyBoy00/petri-mod-2.0/blob/master/Petri_Mod-1.11.2/src/main/java/erikalebenjamattias/petrimod/client/gui/GuiPianoKeyboard.java#L324

Package to send to server (a quick println shows that this does in fact find all the players it should that are in range):

https://github.com/TheMattyBoy00/petri-mod-2.0/blob/master/Petri_Mod-1.11.2/src/main/java/erikalebenjamattias/petrimod/network/NotifyServerOfPianoPlayMessages.java

Package to send to clients (println in the onMessage() method shows that it does not get called what so ever, and the constructor with the println only gets called on the server where it's called in the server package, despite it being a client event):

https://github.com/TheMattyBoy00/petri-mod-2.0/blob/master/Petri_Mod-1.11.2/src/main/java/erikalebenjamattias/petrimod/network/NotifyClientOfPianoPlayMessages.java

Packet handler:

https://github.com/TheMattyBoy00/petri-mod-2.0/blob/master/Petri_Mod-1.11.2/src/main/java/erikalebenjamattias/petrimod/network/PetriPacketHandler.java

Packets registered in the client proxy and server proxy respectively. This is where I think I might be doing something wrong.

Edited by TheMattyBoy

IGN: matte006

Played Minecraft since summer 2011.

Modding is my life now.

Please check out my mod :)

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/gadgets-n-goodies-mod?gameCategorySlug=mc-mods&projectID=230028

16 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Stop calling packets packages. They are different things.

Oh oops, didn't even notice that... Embarrassing...

17 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

This is not needed. The server knows who sent the packet.

Right, thanks.

17 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

You cannot blindly trust the entity ID (pianoId in your packet) that the client sends. At least do a check that the client is within range.

Didn't I already sort of do this by doing world.getEntityByID(message.pianoId).getDistanceSqToEntity(p_apply_1_) < 900.0D in the predicate for finding the players?

20 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Packets must always be registered on both sides.

Alright, this is what I was having trouble with. If I tried to register a client packet on both sides the server would crash with a NoClassDefFoundError on whatever client-only class I was trying to access in my onMessage method in my message handler, and no amount of side checking or @SideOnly-ing would fix the error. How do I register a packet on both sides, while being able to access client only classes and methods, without the server immediately crashing with a NoClassDefFoundError or NoSuchMethodError?

IGN: matte006

Played Minecraft since summer 2011.

Modding is my life now.

Please check out my mod :)

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/gadgets-n-goodies-mod?gameCategorySlug=mc-mods&projectID=230028

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements