[1.12 -> 1.12.2 (latest)] NBT in json recipes being matched by

The_Wabbit

UPDATE: Ok, so I seem to have stumbled on something that was discussed to death by the devs back in Nov-2017. For reader reference see: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/issues/4516. I'll be investigating a custom recipe for my case, but am leaving this topic open for now in case there is a better solution someone can propose (I can't tell where the discussion ended up honestly...)

Hullo all,

Sometime between 1.12 and 1.12.2 (latest recommended build 2655), json shapeless ore recipes seem to have begun comparing NBT data. So what was a simple "item": "modid:itemname" for an ingredient regardless of nbt, seems to need something else now to mean "ignore nbt". However, I still only see the 1.12  "minecraft:item" and "minecraft:item_nbt" ingredient types which seems to indicate "minecraft:item" should match any nbt (and you use 'item_nbt' otherwise). Am I missing something for 1.12.2?

Here is a simple test recipe file 'i_shall_call_you_squishy.json'. Works for 1.12 & 1.12.1 recommended builds. Is broken for 1.12.2 though:

{
  "result": {
    "item": "minecraft:egg",
    "nbt": {
      "display": { "Name": "Squishy"}
    }
  },
  "type": "forge:ore_shapeless",
  "ingredients": [
    { "item": "minecraft:name_tag" },
    { "item": "minecraft:egg" }
  ]
}

Test cases:
1) an egg + default name tag --> OK for all versions!
2) an egg + name tag with custom name --> no recipe match in 1.12.2 but OK for 1.12 and 1.12.1
3) egg with custom name  + default name tag --> no recipe match in 1.12.2 but OK for 1.12 and 1.12.1

So for 1.12.2 how do I change "minecraft:name_tag" to mean "any name tag regardless of NBT data"?

i_shall_call_you_squishy.json

Edited by The_Wabbit
Updated info regarding Forge devs associated discussion