Block models with multiple rotations on the parts?

HappyHippo77

So I'm not really sure if this is legal or not, but I'm trying to recreate the Witchery mod for practice. I'm not modifying or using the source code, and I'm not claiming it as original work, plus it's been dead for years (and so has the creator apparently), so I don't think it will be a problem. Now, I've run into a massive difficulty. I'm trying to recreate the Witch's Cauldron, and I've noticed something about the model. The little feet have are rotated on multiple axis. I'm using BlockBench for the models, and in normal Java Minecraft, you can only rotate parts on one axis. Now, I figured I might open the Witchery Jar and just check how they do it in that. They don't. There's no models at all.

So yeah, how do you make a model with parts with multiple rotations?

Edited by HappyHippo77
A stupid mistake (clicked done too soon).

JSON models don't support arbitrary rotations, only increments of 22.5 degrees on one axis.  See https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Model#Block_models for a detailed description of the format (note the "angle" tag that elements have).  If you need something more flexible, an OBJ model is probably your best bet. I don't know offhand how Witchery did it - might even have been a TESR, though using a TESR for static models isn't a good idea.

Regarding the legality of recreating Witchery: there's nothing to stop you using the code or assets privately, for just "practice".  But you cannot publish anything containing any code or assets from that project, since it's not open-source.  And you can't call anything you release "Witchery" either.

10 hours ago, desht said:

Regarding the legality of recreating Witchery: there's nothing to stop you using the code or assets privately, for just "practice".  But you cannot publish anything containing any code or assets from that project, since it's not open-source.  And you can't call anything you release "Witchery" either.

Thanks for the help! Also, regarding this ^, I figured that would be it, but I do wonder how that ties in to the fact that that mod is dead (and seemingly, so too is the creator). Who would be the one to call me out if I did reproduce it? I am copying the textures from the mod to use in the recreation, but I'm actively acknowledging that they are Emoniph's creation, not mine.

Is there somewhere where I can look at the specifics behind the license and everything for Witchery?

12 hours ago, HappyHippo77 said:

Thanks for the help! Also, regarding this ^, I figured that would be it, but I do wonder how that ties in to the fact that that mod is dead (and seemingly, so too is the creator). Who would be the one to call me out if I did reproduce it? I am copying the textures from the mod to use in the recreation, but I'm actively acknowledging that they are Emoniph's creation, not mine.

Is there somewhere where I can look at the specifics behind the license and everything for Witchery?

Emoniph's whereabouts are unknown, as far as anyone can tell.  Not necessarily dead, but not reachable.  Unfortunately, just because the mod hasn't been updated, and the author can't be reached, that doesn't give you the right to use any of the assets, even with acknowledgementThe mod's licence very explicitly forbids that.  As for repercussions... well, you might or might not get a C&D notice, but I can pretty much guarantee that Curseforge (and probably other platforms) won't host it.  Someone else ported the mod to 1.12.2 not along ago, and posted an announcement to the feedthebeast reddit, and got deleted with 24 hours.  Maybe your efforts would be better spent contributing to Bewitchment, a spiritual successor which doesn't use any of the original mod's assets?

9 hours ago, desht said:

Maybe your efforts would be better spent contributing to Bewitchment, a spiritual successor which doesn't use any of the original mod's assets?

I would do this, but IIRC they closed their suggestions and such. I also don't very much like it, because it doesn't have the same feel as the original Witchery mod.

Edited by HappyHippo77