[1.15.2] How to update properties/textures a custom block dynamically?

Kriptarus

Hello, everyone.

I searched in the forum about that, but i didn't find similar topics. So i decided to ask.

I'm trying to do a bunch of things that i still don't know if it is possible for Blocks.

Basically, i need to make the block changes it's own properties/instance variables/textures dynamically, based in some conditions.

- Is each block posted in the world a completely new instance of it's class?

- Is it possible for the same block already posted to keep being updated constantly?

- I don't want to make the block keep values after it being broke, but in i'll need to manipulate variables while it exists in the world.

29 minutes ago, Kriptarus said:

- Is each block posted in the world a completely new instance of it's class?

No.

29 minutes ago, Kriptarus said:

- Is it possible for the same block already posted to keep being updated constantly?

- I don't want to make the block keep values after it being broke, but in i'll need to manipulate variables while it exists in the world.

Yes and yes.

Check out TileEntity and ITickableTileEntity.

• Thanks 1

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

I researched for TileEntity and ITickableTileEntity, and i made it work with my custom block.

But i still trying to update textures, properties, redstone power, ligth according some conditions.
I was thinking in use TileEntityRender, is that the only option? Is there some simple examples using it?

6 hours ago, Kriptarus said:

I researched for TileEntity and ITickableTileEntity, and i made it work with my custom block.

But i still trying to update textures, properties, redstone power, ligth according some conditions.
I was thinking in use TileEntityRender, is that the only option? Is there some simple examples using it?

You do not need TESR if the conditions are trivial (i.e. redstone power, light, etc). Check out block state properties and model variants.

You might also want to look at vanilla redstone lamp or fence for examples.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:02 PM, DavidM said:

You do not need TESR if the conditions are trivial (i.e. redstone power, light, etc). Check out block state properties and model variants.

You might also want to look at vanilla redstone lamp or fence for examples.

Thanks, i'll take a look. Seems the DayLightDetector works very similar Lamps too.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:05 PM, TheGreyGhost said:

This working example tutorial project has a number of examples on how to render blocks using block models and how to render blocks using TER

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

That's a lot of good stuff in your project! Thanks.