[Solved] [1.15.2] Trouble making a custom inventory attached to the player

GarlicBread

I tried doing that, but im a bit confused on whether or not I need to make a readNBT and writeNBT for it. Do you need NBT data for an inventory not attached to an item? My code is here (Check the MCap fork) if you want to take a look. Right now it produces a nullpointerexception because of the readNBT function, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Edited by GarlicBread

Hmm.. I added code in my ICapabilityProvider, and I think I'm not very sure what data I'm supposed to store. I took some code from ItemFlowerBag in MBE and I'm assuming this would work, but I still have the same issue. I have a feeling it's from this:

image.png.7b747f96239d8972ea1b457fef9e7ec0.png 

but im not exactly sure how to fix this. I've looked at MBE examples and I think I'm following them correctly, but the capability is never equal to the capability that I've made. How do I get about to fixing it?

@Override
    public INBT serializeNBT() {
        return CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY.writeNBT(getCachedInventory(), null);
    }

@Override
    public void deserializeNBT(INBT nbt) {
        CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY.readNBT(getCachedInventory(), null, nbt);
    }

15 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

Hmm.. I added code in my ICapabilityProvider, and I think I'm not very sure what data I'm supposed to store. I took some code from ItemFlowerBag in MBE and I'm assuming this would work, but I still have the same issue. I have a feeling it's from this:

image.png.7b747f96239d8972ea1b457fef9e7ec0.png 

but im not exactly sure how to fix this. I've looked at MBE examples and I think I'm following them correctly, but the capability is never equal to the capability that I've made. How do I get about to fixing it?

@Override
        return CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY.writeNBT(getCachedInventory(), null);
    }

@Override
        CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY.readNBT(getCachedInventory(), null, nbt);
    }

Okay, a few things. Provider#getCapability should return this,

capability == CAPABILITY ? lazyOptional.cast() : LazyOptional.empty()

You should use LazyOptional#cast instead of a real cast. Btw, the reason it says that's always false is because it's currently null, it only gets a value at runtime through magic annotation bs.

As for your serialize and deserialize NBT methods, you shouldn't write to the capability, you should write to its storage, something like this, 

@Override
   return CAPABILITY.getStorage().writeNBT(CAPABILITY, lazyOptional.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional is empty!")), null);
}
@Override
   CAPABILITY.getStorage().readNBT(CAPABILITY, lazyOptional.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional is empty!")), null, nbt);

}

Edit: ...I have no idea what happened to the second example's formatting...

Edited by Novârch

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

Alright, I followed what you said and changed my code to the following:

@Override
        return CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY.getStorage().writeNBT(CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY, lazyInitialisionSupplier.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional is empty!")), null);
    }

@Override
        CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY.getStorage().readNBT(CapabilityRestraintsInventory.INVENTORY, lazyInitialisionSupplier.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional is empty!")), null, nbt);
    }

It still seems to act like a trash can, and it says it will produce an NPE on running .getStorage() on my capability, but I dont seem to get an NPE when going into the game. Does that have anything to do with the cap variable never being equal to my capability?

18 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

cap variable never being equal to my capability

As I said, the cap variable isn't equal to your capability because your capability is null in your IDE, it gets a value at runtime through magic annotation bs (@CapabilityInject).

It's sad how much time mods spend saying "x is no longer supported on this forum. Please update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support".

1 minute ago, Novârch said:

As I said, the cap variable isn't equal to your capability because your capability is null in your IDE, it gets a value at runtime through magic annotation bs (@CapabilityInject).

ah,alright then. I got a bit confused cuz in MBE the capabilities dont seem to be null. Thanks for letting me know!

Alright, I fixed that problem, now the issue im having is I can't add more than one slot to my container without the game crashing. It says that the array only has 0 and 1 when it crashes. Is there any way to change this?

Edit: Solved this, marking thread as solved

Edited by GarlicBread

• GarlicBread changed the title to [Solved] [1.15.2] Trouble making a custom inventory attached to the player