[Solved][1.16.2] Adding texture space for layers

DavidQF555

I have a custom horse that I want to add extra parts to, so I tried to use a layer with a model, but the texture for the horse is completely full in the 64x64, so I don't know how to add my texture for my layer. I don't want the layer to actually overlay anywhere on the horse, but just add. My texture is 64x10, so I tried adding it to the horse texture to become 64x74, but it still appears on the horse because the texture just gets stretched. Is there a way to add a layer that has a completely separate texture format from the original entity? My model extends HorseModel and my layer renderer extends LayerRenderer. 

Edited by DavidQF555

On 8/19/2020 at 5:41 PM, ChampionAsh5357 said:

It's really complicated what you need to do for it. You basically need to create a separate renderer and match the model animations to your current one with whatever method you would like to use. From there, you can set the texture width and size to what you want.

Creating a matching model and renderer wasn't that bad because my entity is pretty simple, but how do I register multiple renderers to the same EntityType? It's a map so the first one I register just gets overriden. 

1 hour ago, DavidQF555 said:

Creating a matching model and renderer wasn't that bad because my entity is pretty simple, but how do I register multiple renderers to the same EntityType?

When I'm speaking of renderers in this case, I'm talking about layer renderers. You're basically applying your own with your custom model. You can literally reuse LeatherHorseArmorLayer almost exactly the same except replacing their model with yours and making sure its not an instance of HorseArmorItem.