Does EntityBurnBySunlightEvent sounds workable?

poopoodice

Hello!

As title, I have an idea about "EntityBurnBySunlightEvent", which is triggered when entities like zombies, skeletons, and phantoms tries to burn under sunlight.

I also noticed they are hard coded into each of their own

livingTick()

which means if the event is added, I will either trigger the event in every entity class that burns, or add a method in LivingEntity (since not every entity that burns are MonsterEntity). For example:

public void setBurnBySunlight(int ticks)
{
    ticks = ...EntityBurnBySunlightEvent(this, ticks);
    this.setFire(ticks);
}

call this, instead of directly call setFire() in their livingTick()

The EntityBurnBySunlightEvent will have two parameters: (LivingEntity) and (Ticks to burn), and will be located in 

net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingEvent

The user can modify the ticks that the entity given is going to burn, which allows the user to set it to 0 in order to prevent the burning of entity from happening.

This will be helpful for people that wants to cancel the burn update from the sunlight, by not affecting the burn effect from other sources.

Any suggestions for this? Thanks :)

Edited by poopoodice

Isn't this already handled by LivingDamageEvent in some capacity? All you are doing is negating fire damage on the specific entity. My issues is that it's called every frame which would be already handled in some capacity by LivingUpdateEvent. Technically, I could just check if the entity is on fire and if it's daylight during this event and remove the fire effect. This negates the whole purpose of creating this event as otherwise it's just more processing time for the calls to go through synchronously.

Also, if the event were to be called, it would be handled by ZombieEntity#shouldBurnInDay or an extra condition in PhantomEntity#livingTick for example.

The problem is that will remove the fire effect even if the effect is not caused by the sunlight.

The purpose of this event is to allow user to modify the duration of the effect caused by the sunlight, and not to remove it as the source of the fire can be lava, enchantments, flint and steel...etc.

And if like you said if you check it in the LivingUpdateEvent, and manually put out the fire if the entity is in daylight, they can literally swim in lava, or walk on fire without getting burned, which is not desired.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by poopoodice

• 3 weeks later...