1.15 Setting container contents

AMRAAM

Hello!

I've been playing around with the idea of creating a "plugin like" chest based menu system, implemented on the server side ONLY, so no code runs on the client. I have gotten so far as to create a generic container and have the player open it, but several issues remain that I can't solve on my own, #1 Is setting the contents of said generic container, so the player sees items and can interact with the menu, and then #2 is actually interacting with the container, how do I detect when a player picks up an item from the container (and cancel that, so they can't take items from it) and then do some other action, like opening another more different container or running some logic or things of that nature.

This is what is running currently in my mod:

INamedContainerProvider provider = new INamedContainerProvider() {
            @Override
            public ITextComponent getDisplayName() {
                return new TextComponent() {
                    @Override
                    public String getUnformattedComponentText() {
                        return "name";
                    }

@Override
                    public ITextComponent shallowCopy() {
                        return null;
                    }
                };
            }

@Nullable
            @Override
            public Container createMenu(int p_createMenu_1_, PlayerInventory p_createMenu_2_, PlayerEntity p_createMenu_3_) {
                Container c = new Container(ContainerType.GENERIC_9X2, 1) {
                    @Override
                    public boolean canInteractWith(PlayerEntity playerIn) {
                        return true;
                    }
                };

// Both of these line straight up crash the game when they are ran
                //c.getSlot(0).inventory.setInventorySlotContents(0, new ItemStack(Blocks.DIRT));
                //c.getInventory().set(0, new ItemStack(Blocks.DIRT)); 

return c;
            }
        };

event.getPlayer().openContainer(provider);

Thanks for the help!

I see, why does it have to be a ChestContainer, the inventory still opens like this, I just cant put items in from my code, but wouldnt that be fixed if were to put an inventory behind it and use that? ChestContainer has a constructor that takes in a PlayerInventory an IInventory and the number of rows(?). Do I need some sort of wrapper around my IItemHandler to pass it into that IInventory param?

Okay I'm lost now, I want to use IInventory because that is what ChestContainer uses, but how do I create one for it, if I understand correctly, right now you are saying I use IInventory of the chest and manage it with an IItemHandler, provided by InvWrapper right?
But how do I provide the chest container with an IInventory in the first place?
Can you give an example on how I create the ChestContainer from start to finish? Or I need to implement a custom IInventory?

This is what I am trying currently, but this doesnt work, it fails to compile.

IInventory inv = new Inventory(18);

InvWrapper wrapper = new InvWrapper(inv);
                wrapper.insertItem(0, new ItemStack(Blocks.DIRT), false);

ChestContainer c = new ChestContainer(ContainerType.GENERIC_9X2, event.getPlayer().inventory, inv, 2);
'ChestContainer(net.minecraft.inventory.container.ContainerType<?>, int, net.minecraft.entity.player.PlayerInventory, int)' has private access in 'net.minecraft.inventory.container.ChestContainer'

So, I will populate the slots of the opened "chest" with items that I dont want to be in game items, rather option in a menu, so when a player tries to take one of them I can run some logic because they clicked an "option", instead of the taking the item I want to run a function to do something.

Example, the player opens a virtual chest they see their level by the size of the green wool stack, if they try to take the stack, instead of taking 13 green wool, they would get taken to another "chest" with more detailed information about their character.

Or a shop interface, where them clicking an item would buy it, put it into their inventory and remove some balance from their account.

So I need a mechanism to detect them trying to take an item, and to know what item it is, and one mechanism to prevent them from actually taking the item.

I hope it makes sense

So essentially I create a new class, extend from Container maybe and start implementing things, and maybe go off the implementation of ChestContainer.
Will this approach not break the server side only criteria? Does the client not need to know about the custom container?